Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2006, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 6 Dec 2006 22:32:09 -0500
From:         mordo <helmut.blong@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Fwd: Stranded - my first heartbreak

I'm really keen to know where my staubkess stek bolt is too. Or perperhaps I found it already.

In my example, Jeff, I didn't know whether the pump running when the key is switched on would send fuel to the tee or whether it needed to be cranked. The latter was the case. I had my son crank the starter while monitored flow. It ran in spurts a considerable amount (1/2 cup?) until it ran full flow and not with spasms of air releasing. That wsa with the screw removed. Based on the volume of air that was purged, I would say leaving the screw just loose would not be effective.

On my 90 Carat, teh tee in question is just left of the crankcase vent stack.

Had I known it was a simple matter as this, I would have been of the roadside in ten minutes, I expect.

---------- Forwarded message ---------- From: Jeff Oxroad <Oxroad@aol.com> Date: Dec 6, 2006 10:11 PM Subject: Re: Stranded - my first heartbreak To: vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com

Max--

Seems you get the prize on this as Stranded was able to purge the air in fuel system per the latest e-mail posted on the subject.

What is a "staubkess steek bolt"? And, Where is it?

Once I find it, and let's say I'm trying to purge air out of the system, is it a mere opening of the bolt and the air will hiss out and then I see fuel and I tighten the bolt back. Or, does the fuel need to run out for a while, say let a pint of fuel run out to be sure it purged?

And also, will the air purge by itself or does the fuel pump have to be running?

Thanks in Advance, Jeff 83.5 Westy LA,CA

In a message dated 12/4/2006 10:26:33 PM Pacific Standard Time, maxjoyce@IPA.NET writes: have vast experience running my Vanagon out of gas and although another post alluded to this, I've found that if the Vanagon won't start after adding even one gallon to the tank, opening up the staubkess steek bolt in the fuel line T to purge the air eventually will get the Van to alow fuel to the injectors.

Max

-- mordo 1990 Carat