Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2006, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 7 Dec 2006 08:45:55 -0500
From:         mordo <helmut.blong@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Fwd: Fwd: Stranded - my first heartbreak

I'm willing to believe that scenario but I am skeptical. If I assume that the sender and gauge are vaguley accurate, there should be what, 2.2 gals at the top reserve mark. I was not below that mark prior to making the long curve of the exit ramp. I then came to rest on level pavement (a very bouncy bridge). I then put 2 additional gallons of fuel in and still did not have fuel pumping sufficient to start the engine. When I inspected the filter at the time, it had fuel in it both before and after adding 2 gals of fuel. I wasn't able to watch it and crank the engine so I couldn't see if fuel was moving throught it.

I have been thinking about this and wondering if it is inherent in the FI system that it can become airlocked? I look at the bottom of my tank and see that it is flat if not convex. Is the strainer and pickup fitted in the hump you speak of? I'm trying to visually remember if I've seen a cut of this tank assembly before.

---------- Forwarded message ---------- From: Mark Drillock <mdrillock@cox.net> Date: Dec 6, 2006 11:16 PM Subject: Re: Fwd: Stranded - my first heartbreak To: mordo <helmut.blong@gmail.com> Cc: vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com

No, there was no air lock in the FI system. The problem was the air lock in the line before the fuel pump, inside the tank. The fuel line INSIDE the tank has a hump in it. If you run out of fuel you need to add a lot of fuel to the tank before the fuel level is high enough reach over the top of the hump and supply liquid fuel to the pump. The pump is not designed to pump air or fumes, it is designed to pump fuel.

Removing the bolt from the fuel rail tee allowed air out of the line so the pump could have an easier time priming itself without pressurizing the air in the line as it struggled to suck fuel up over the hump and down to the pump. It is not good for the pump to be run dry. Raising the fuel level in the tank high enough would have made it's job easier and not risked damaging the pump running it while it was dry.

Mark

mordo wrote:

> The collective wisdom and experience of the list prevails - the failure was > due to airlock in the FI system. As advised here, I bled the air at the > tee, > jumped the battery I ran down trying to start it and when I cranked it > anew, > she started immediately. > > Thanks to all that replied. > > mordo >

-- mordo 1990 Carat