Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2006, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 7 Dec 2006 08:26:05 -0600
From:         Max Wellhouse <maxjoyce@IPA.NET>
Subject:      Re: Fwd: Stranded - my first heartbreak
Comments: To: Mark Drillock <mdrillock@COX.NET>

Clearing the "air" here!!

1. I think Mark has more accurately described what is really going on. I'm more of a "if it works, it's right" kinda guy. 2. The "Staubkess bolt" is a bad case of right hand being over one set of keys on the keyboard. I meant to type "Stainless Steel". 3. Should any of you decide to open this up to release air or fuel, two cautions: one is the obvious raw gas/fumes coming out over a potentially hot exhaust system so I'd have something like a small gatorade bottle with lid to collect or divert the fuel away from danger and two, it never hurts to keep a spare one of those bolts/screws for that T conection and they are real easy to drop and lose on the side of the road. If there was such a thing as a fuel-compatable Schrader valve that could be put in the line, that might be a better option, but you'd still want to keep the spew away from combustible options. 4. Since I have learned from this list that running the van out of gas and driving it until it won't go another inch is indeed really bad for the fuel pump, I have installed a VDO pressure gauge sender over that T connection and clamped it with the required short piece of FI high pressure hose and two clamps with the rounded edges. Some on the list have said it won't work for fuel like it does for oil, but I've had it on there for over a year in all kinds of driving condiitions and yet to have it leak or fail. I simply ran another wire to the front and rigged a SPDT switch so I can monitor either fuel or oil pressure off one gauge. Did that with temperature as well(oil/water). Now, in order to protect the fuel pump when I'm running really low on gas and trying to get to the next exit to fill up, I'll flip over to the fuel pressure reading and when it shows the slightest sign of reading below that magic 29-36 psi range, I shut it off and either walk or coast. 5. Another controversial thing I do is carry a FULL gallon of Coleman fuel in my big Contico storage box that more or less replaces the middle seat are in my 90GL. It's in a metal can, it's like $4, and it has gotten me to many a gas station when I have run out. I never keep a partially full can in there and I make sure it's well supported by the plywood dividers so it doesn't move around. Just coincidentally, my old radiator hose(the one that goes from the back of the #4 cylinder and then gets real skinny) fits snugly on top of the Coleman can threads so poking s small hole for breathing in the corner of the top ofthe can allows a slick way to get ALL $4 worth in the tank and not dumped on the ground. I have also had success using a Techron fuel injector cleaner bottle with the top cut off as a shade tree funnel. An actual long neck oil/AFT funnel, would work too, but that ties up too much space. I've been told that the Coleman fuel is indeed unleaded and high octane(like 104?). Burning a gallon to the nearest pump has caused my engine no obvious harm, and it maybe happens once a year, but I'm glad it's there when I need it especially in the winter time. 6. Since I have the T connection tied up now, I think I will try leaving the gas cap off next time it happens and see if it works.

thanks to all.

DM&FS

>No, there was no air lock in the FI system. The problem was the air lock >in the line before the fuel pump, inside the tank. The fuel line INSIDE >the tank has a hump in it. If you run out of fuel you need to add a lot >of fuel to the tank before the fuel level is high enough reach over the >top of the hump and supply liquid fuel to the pump. The pump is not >designed to pump air or fumes, it is designed to pump fuel. > >Removing the bolt from the fuel rail tee allowed air out of the line so >the pump could have an easier time priming itself without pressurizing >the air in the line as it struggled to suck fuel up over the hump and >down to the pump. It is not good for the pump to be run dry. Raising the >fuel level in the tank high enough would have made it's job easier and >not risked damaging the pump running it while it was dry. > >Mark > >mordo wrote: > >>The collective wisdom and experience of the list prevails - the failure was >>due to airlock in the FI system. As advised here, I bled the air at the >>tee, >>jumped the battery I ran down trying to start it and when I cranked it >>anew, >>she started immediately. >> >>Thanks to all that replied. >> >>mordo > > > >-- >No virus found in this incoming message. >Checked by AVG Free Edition. >Version: 7.1.409 / Virus Database: 268.15.9/573 - Release Date: 12/5/2006

-- No virus found in this outgoing message. Checked by AVG Free Edition. Version: 7.1.409 / Virus Database: 268.15.9/573 - Release Date: 12/5/2006