Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2006, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 7 Dec 2006 14:28:31 -0500
From:         Roger Sisler <rogersisler2000@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Vanagon OEM tire report Yes,
              I am still using a 22 year old tire

These were XZX Michelins.Dont know the tire size,but they did not inflate to normal pressures for the Vanagon.Maybe either 35 or 44psi.Dont remeber.NOT 48psi. Those 4 tires are history, currently being used as a off shore reef. No sin, as I have NEVER seen a single tire on a junked vanagon that was correct.NEVER!!I would buy it used, if it had any tread left.Never seen one.Not ever.Talking about 30 or 40 Vanagons. That said, I have never heard of Vanagons being is excessive accidents,either.I bet most people here on the list do the same for tires.I do.Most just cant afford $150 each for tires.Believe me,I would like to buy good tires. Got pep boy tires that work just fine for tread wear.Inflate to 44psi. God loves me. Cost $25 each with balancing.That is not the charge for balancing.That is the total cost with balancing and FET,NEW. Put 43K on the two rear ones, and they got about 5K left.This is a westy.They are Futura tires.

I write here, because I find it interesting that Michelin( of all people) cant make a tire that will age,and that it may be possiable to use old tires that came with the Vanagon..The XZX were made about 1992 and had almost all tread left.They sat and sat for years.I am sure at least two of them were in the shade for that time.The Vanagon had 62K.The side walls were all cracked up. The OEM Continental was pristein, and 7 ot 8 years older.

The XZX tires all destructed the same way.The tread seperated.I started getting a feeling like the balance was going bad.It kept getting worse and worse.I kept wondering and wondering what was wrong. BLAMMMM!!! The tread blew out.The steel cords were about a foot long and all ready to stick my hands as I changed the tire, long side the interstate.Silly me,I kept putting another XZX on till they all blew out. One after the other. Lasted about 3k total.Almost new tread,but old. No they were incorrect for the Vanagon,and this probably contibuted to their demise.I suspect that they would have lasted 5K on a Camry.Point being,the XZX doesnt age as well as other tires. The French should know the most in the world about rubber.They had 200 years to learn, in indochina.I only had the one spare tire left, at this point, so on it went. A Continental tire form Germany. Brand new and 22 years old. Got about 3k now on it.Thistire can be seen .It is currently modeling hub caps in my ebay store :>).I wouldnt pay anything for it,just happen to have it handy.Gonna have to buy new tires soon. Hope I can find some correct ones during a junkyard excursion.Still dont want to pay lots and lots for tires at this time.