Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2006, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 7 Dec 2006 16:12:19 -0500
From:         "Dr.Chris" <gronski@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: "be Prepared" was OT-stranded in the wilderness
Comments: To: ------------- <VW4X4@verizon.net>

I think the blackout of 2004 and Katrina taught all of us that even North Americans need to be prepared.

The government of Canada has even launched a campaign to encourage people to be prepared to survive in their homes for 72 hours in an emergency:

http://getprepared.ca/index_e.asp

Chris

On 12/7/06, ------------- <VW4X4@verizon.net> wrote: > I've been on the mission lately about "Being Prepared" . > Who needs it! > We have our cell phones, we have our MAC card, we don't need nothin. > We don't have to think one minute in advance. We're in the USA. > We can buy anything, we need. We can drive our SUV's in a winter > white out, in a T-shirt. Someone will ball us out! We don't need nothin! > > Right? > > Joe. W > > > > John Rodgers wrote: > > > It has been a lot of years since I have thought about this, but the case > > of Mr. Kim and his family has brought it to fore. > > > > I don't know about todays regulations, but in Alaska back in my flying > > days, every aircraft flying had to have an Emergency Locator Transmitter > > - or ELT - on board, Known various as Crash Locator Beacons and other > > names, they were activated by a "G" switch upon impact in case of a > > crash or one could simply turn them on. These beacons trasmitted a > > signal that would be picked up by search and rescue operations to > > triangulate where a a plane was down. > > > > In time, personal emergency transmitters became available to pilots. > > Transmitters that one could carry on ones person, as a supplemet to the > > one mounted in the aircraft. > > > > I don't know if such personal loctor beacons are available to day or > > not, but it might be wise to look into this and add one to ones > > collections of safety gear when out and about. Most episodes such a Mr. > > Kim's are just that, accidents. And accidents are always unexpected. > > > > If you are going to run down to the corer liquer store in a blinding > > snow storm, then by golly take your personal ELT with you. You may get > > disoriented in the storm and get lost. I'm being facetious here, but you > > get my drift I hope. BE PREPARED. > > > > One thing I learned in Alaska. You don't goe even the shortest distance > > in the winter without winter clothing on. Something could happen, and > > you are done. > > > > I lived in Fairbanks, and there was a Mountain top there with an AF > > Radar Station on top. A place called Murphy's Dome. One winter night an > > Airman had to drive up there to relieve the other airmen running the > > radar. Back then this place was a drive of a few miles, away from the > > city on a dirt road. In 20 driving minutes and the guy should have been > > there. The Airman was a flatlander, and he didn't put on boots. Wore > > street shoes, Jeep broke down half way up the mountain. he tried walking > > and froze his feet. Nasty damage. Got medically discharged from the > > military. > > > > One cold day on the Kenai where I lived, I did such a simple thing as > > walk to my garage, which was 20 feet from the house. In that short > > distance I had a Moose Cow and Calf encounter. I couldn't get to the > > garage nor to the house. She chased me but I found sanctuary behind the > > wood pile. I stayed out in the cold for a solid 45 minutes before she > > decided to give it up and move on. Dang if I wasn't half frozen by the > > time I was able to get back in the house. I had to sit in a tub of hot > > water to get myself warmed up. > > > > Something I learned a long time ago from being a Boy Scout. , and it > > holds true today. "Be Prepared" > > > > John Rodgers > > 88 GL Driver > > > > TC wrote: > > > >> I have been following that story of the SF family that got stranded > >> in the > >> Oregon coast mountains > >> my son asked what we would do if our 2 wd westy got stuck/broke down > >> in some > >> remote winter area > >> > >> besides that fact we prolly have 2 weeks of food , propane, dual bats > >> etc & > >> some Garmin 2 way radios > >> we would prolly just hole up & camp out :) > >> > >> The interesting aspect was that the attempt to make a cell phone call > >> and > >> the cdr records allowed > >> the searchers to grid search a cell phone tower coverage grid this > >> allowed > >> them to be located > >> if everyone has stayed put the story would have a happy ending ... > >> > >> I was curious the Garmin rino 530 i always have in the van is GPS > >> enabled & > >> allows other Garmin > >> 2 ways to track to each other bu the coverage is only 2 miles in bad > >> terrain > >> Yet I can usually get a GPS fix as long as there is not much tree > >> cover just > >> about any remote locations.. > >> > >> Are there any inexpensive devices that would send a gps fix to > >> international > >> emergency satalite > >> the allow searches to home in on sone lost / stranded in the westy > >> wilderness ? > >> > >> > > > > >