Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2006, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 2 Dec 2006 18:47:57 -0600
From:         Jim Felder <felder@KNOLOGY.NET>
Subject:      Sudden weird problems and no-start

Well, maybe not so weird to someone who has a clue as to what's going on with my vanagon, but weird to me.

It's a 90 with 212K miles, nothing ever done to the engine other than tuneup, head gaskets, alternator, hoses and such.

The car has started with the first click of the key since I bought it new.

Recently it's started to get cold around here (mildly cold, down to 30s and tonight, 20s). Since the cool weather began, the car has been idling high while cold (1200-1500 rpm) until fully warm, and even then sometimes a bit high.

When the engine is cold, at first the tach needle "hunts" up and down between about 750 and about 1300.

I drove the car 20 miles out of town this morning and it sat all day. I came back at dark to drive home, and it wouldn't start. I tried about ten times, each time just a few turns. I tried to hear if the fuel pump (it's only a year old) was coming on, but the stupid chimes were so loud I couldn't.

On the tenth or eleventh time it started and ran great--except that when I abruptly took my foot off the gas to take a ramp onto a different freeway, the tach, dashlights and engine died for a fraction of a second, then came back on and I continued to drive home without event, taking another ramp or two on the way with no such problem.

Ignition switch? Temp sensor?

Any opinions will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jim