Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2006, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 2 Dec 2006 19:58:59 -0800
From:         jon <jon@KENNEKE.COM>
Subject:      AFM Data Update

Thank you to folks that have sent me AFMs (or sold them cheap). I have discovered many interesting things. Here are a few (I'll have a full report once I get one more piece of test equipment) observations:

1) I have not yet seen one an AFM with a bad IAT. There is about a 5 percent variation, but that is within tolerance.

2) The AFM is set up as a voltage divider. So, it's not absolute resistance between pins 2&4, it's a ratio. Even AFMs with difference in absolute resistance, the ratios are almost spot-on.

3) There are several...well, many, corrosion/oxidation points of failure on an AFM: board contacts, wiper, wiper I, and wiper II, not to mention the plug contacts. Hence, my quest for something better.

4) There seems to be two manufacturers of the interior "pot" board: Bourns and Sferfine.

5) The "pot" board screws are a pain to take out, but I have developed several quick methods to solve that problem.

Currently, all the AFMs that I have are 2.1WBXs, but data I have been sent from air cooled vanagon AFMs seem to point to the conclusion that they work the same. The AC AFMs have two extra pins, since an "AFM closed" funtion is in the unit. This might be some sort of throttle closed or idle function.

The CO screw simply controls the amount of air bypass around the AFM. In other words, it will decrease or increase unmeasured (by the AFM) air. I'll have to "do the math" to figure out that one, since the O2 sensor is part of the equation.

My opinion is that the digifant is a well designed and simple FI system. The problem is that is depends on several components (ala AFM) that like to fail. The 2.1 engine has very few hoses, and junk.

That's it for now.

Kpm