Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2006, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 9 Dec 2006 15:01:00 -0800
From:         BenT Syncro <syncro@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Wheels and Tires
Comments: To: Bob Stevens <mtbiker62@hotmail.com>

On 12/9/06, Bob Stevens <mtbiker62@hotmail.com> wrote: > > Look at the back side of the wheel for the ET #. This is the offset and > stock is 30, mine are 23 and fit very well, and are 16". As BenT has said, > I > think you can use up to 45 without problems. As Chris suggests, a > 215/65-16 > (the size I'm using) is a good sized tire for the 16" set up. It usually > results in about a 27" diameter, which is about 1.3" over stock so it does > "hit" your power/torque. Essentially changes the gearing at the road and > this is noticeable on 90hp motors. > Some pix here of the van/wheels: > http://groups.msn.com/BobsPhotoShare/87westysyncro.msnw > Bob Stevens

Bob,

I just wanted to add that the info I gave you was for Syncros. The front end pieces on a 2wd such as Jack's 84 Westy would have clearance problems in anything over, let's say... ET38 at wider than 6 inches. As Evan was pointing out, you also need to consider how wide your rims are. For example, a stock wheel of ET32 at 6 inches wide when compared to an ET23 at 7 inches wide yields, a wheel which will stick outward 9mm. Since the wheel is then an inch wider (half inch on in and half out), you will need to add 12.7 mm. So it will out farther than the stock wheel by 21.7mm (9mm+12.7mm). Inwards it's minus 9mm plus 12.7mm. That comes out to 3.7 mm or practically negligible in this application IMHO. You might have too much tire hanging past your wheel arches in this scenario unless you like that early American conversion van look. Math is not my strong suit but you get my drift?

BenT