Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2006, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 10 Dec 2006 18:57:02 -0800
From:         Old Volks Home <oldvolkshome@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: FS: OEM all RUBBER vanagon/transporter/westy front
              floormat..(one piece m...

One other thing to keep in mind as well is that I was quoting from the US Dealer Price Book (March 7, 2005), which in this particular part number's case was the perfect example of multi-level markups that take place from the VW's German Distribution point thru to the Troy, MI Office (VOA), down to the Supply Depots in Canada and the US, and then to the individual Dealerships themselves, every one of those levels taking a bite of their own for administrative reasons, costs and markups. There is so much "middle-man" levels in VAG's supply change, it's no wonder prices for parts are what they are.

BTW, I'm not saying that the parts in the "supply chain" go through VOA HQ itself, which in most cases it doesn't - BUT - they certainly do get their "pound of flesh" in the pricing matrix, as I know what a couple of manufacturers *actually* charge VOA for their items and then what the Dealer gets for them. In many cases it's downright obscene.

As far as buying from a Dealer in Germany - I've been doing that for over a decade, so what Jeff says is true most of the time, but as Ron points out (and depending on the the item), it can be higher. -- Jim Thompson 84 Westfalia 2.1 "Ole Putt" 73 K Ghia Coupe "Denise" 72 411 Station Wagon "Pug" oldvolkshome@gmail.com http://www.oldvolkshome.com ********************************** On 12/10/06, Jeffrey Schwaia <jeff@vanagonparts.com> wrote: > > Ron, > > Obviously, you guys deal with a far greater number of items than I do, but > of the dozens of items that I've checked on, or bought from German VW > dealers, all of them have been less expensive than their US > counterparts. I > agree that once you add shipping to individual parts the price could > definitely exceed the US part, however, my exeriences have been with bulk > purchases or the times when I'm in Germany and am able to bring the parts > back with me. Customs duty on most auto parts is pretty trivial, usually > averaging 2.5% of value. > > Cheers, > > Jeff > > > -----Original Message----- > From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM]On Behalf > Of The Bus Depot > Sent: Sunday, December 10, 2006 1:49 PM > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > Subject: Re: FS: OEM all RUBBER vanagon/transporter/westy front > floormat..(one piece m... > > > > One important fact that I've learned over the past few years > > is that the prices at the VW dealers in Germany are much, > > much lower than the US dealers. > > > > That's not consistently true. On "dealer-only" items that I stock in > quantity, I generally compare VW/Germany and VW/America prices. In some > cases it's costs less in Germany, other times more (once shipping/import > cost is factored in). > > - Ron Salmon > The Bus Depot, Inc. > www.busdepot.com > (215) 234-VWVW > >