Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2006, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 13 Dec 2006 14:37:09 -0600
From:         Jim Felder <felder@KNOLOGY.NET>
Subject:      Re: Well, well well... the fuel pump!
Comments: To: Roger Sisler <rogersisler2000@YAHOO.COM>

You're right, I rarely run as low as I have recently. I always run the odometer 250 miles and refill, there's always nearly two gallons left. I ran it low when I had starting trouble (that was the ignition switch) but being afraid to go far from home, I kept away from the gas station as long as possible. I did make a run for gas yesterday or the day before, then drove home and parked it and drove the camper as I had my granddaughter with me and I didn't want to take a chance on it quitting with her in the car.

So, yes, even though it may be coincidence, I ran lower than usual, then refilled, and now the car runs (idles at 2000, thanks Mark Drillock for the nice checkout procedure) as long as you want it to, but get it on the road, going downhill, and it seems to cut out then.

Next question is, there seems an abundance of opinions as whether to replace the tank or remove it and try to clean it, if the threads I've read on the subject are any indication.

Are there any "tank cleaning services" available? I have rescued more than one british car gas tank with epoxy coating. If my problem is rust flakes, is this worth pursuing?

Thanks,

Jim