Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2006, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 13 Dec 2006 20:03:37 -0800
From:         Leslie H Schwartz <lhs_emf@PACBELL.NET>
Subject:      Re: I'm seeing workshop bench sizes and ideas

One thing I would like to advocate, having the air lines and ac power hanging down from above the bench, just out of the way. Its surprising how much energy it saves every day not having to plug hand tools into a wall or bench outlet, keep the extension cables out of the way, pick them up off the floor, etc. You did not say if you have 360 degree access to the bench, I'd guess most of us don't have that kind of space in our garage workshops. But a deeper bench I think is always useful. ----- Original Message ---- From: David Marshall <mailinglist@FASTFORWARD.CA> To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Sent: Wednesday, December 13, 2006 9:41:37 PM Subject: I'm seeing workshop bench sizes and ideas I am in the process of doing the drywall and paint in my work shop. Next I will be building a new work bench. My original bench was wood and 24" deep and 36" off the floor and 8' wide - it served my purposes but now it is time to upgrade to something better. The new area for the bench will be 16' wide with four dedicated120V 20A plugs - my air compressor will go under one section of this bench and some mobile tool cabinets under another section. I have a surplus of 2x6" lumber so this will be the frame work of the new bench. To top the bench off, I will be using 3/16" thick steel that will be bent up at the back to catch any spills and bent down at the front for neatness. I want to go deeper that 24", but how deep and this is the question for you people out there who have shop benches. If you were to do it again how deep would you go - 32" or 36" ? I will have a vice on there, drill press and will be doing things like cylinder head assembly and also fabricating and TIG welding items on there as well - with the steel bench there will be no need to ground the work, just make sure it is on the table. So - please share with me what you like and dislike about your current setup and stuff that you would do next time if you got the chance. Cheers! David Marshall http://www.hasenwerk.ca http://www.fastforward.ca Box 4153, Quesnel BC, Canada V2J 3J2