Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2006, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 9 Dec 2006 03:09:40 -0500
From:         Bill Glenn <idahobill@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Fwd: OT-stranded in the wilderness with a westy what would
              you do ?

The discussion about the Emergency Locator Beacons (ELBs) and Emergency Position Indicating Radio Beacons (EPIRBs)reminded me of an indicent that occurred during the height of the cold war, when there was little co- operation between the U.S. and the Soviets. The U.S. satellite that was equipped to receive such emergency signals was either out of position, or out of commission. A Soviet satellite picked up an emergency signal from a remote area of Canada, and the co-ordinates were relayed to the North American Air Defense, who in turn notified the appropriate authorities in Canada. The source of the radio beacon was the crash site of a small aircraft, which was located before the plane had even been reported missing. The radio beacon, and a humanitarion act on the part of the Soviets, saved countless hours of search time, and perhaps resulted in the rescue of the survivors. Sorry, I don't recall if there were any.

On the same subject, in Australia, where I frequently travel, the use of EPIRBs is promoted not just for aircraft and off-shore boats, but also for fishermen, hikers, mountain bikers, skiers, off road 4WD use, etc. Though I have not done so, it is possible to rent EPIRBs, including pocket-sized ones for carrying on your person. To see what I'm talking about, here's one website to visit: http://www.epirbhire.com.au/

Of course, these devices should not be used as a substitute for self- reliance, preparedness, and good judgement, but in the event of a true emergency, they can be literally life-saving. No one wants to be the subject of a successful search and rescue operation, but it surely beats being the subject of an unsuccessful search (or no search) when you're in need of rescue.

Bill