Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2006, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 13 Dec 2006 14:51:23 -0500
From:         Roger Sisler <rogersisler2000@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Well, well well... the fuel pump!
Comments: To: Jim Felder <felder@KNOLOGY.NET>

What you need to consider is that the fuel tank is full of crud. Did you run it near empty recently? If so,I bet you usually keep it more than a quarter full. When a crudded up tank is run very low(less than a gallon) the crud gets concentrated and more can get into the filter. When using a fuller tank, the crud gets spread out and less dirt gets a chance to go into the little hole at the bottom.The crud can float around for years,doing no harm, if you keep the tank full.

I once found about a cup or two of rust flakes in my tank.Big thick flakes. I had just changed the filter only 20 miles earlier.This was my parts van that got a weekly run around the neighoborhood.Of course the filter could not be the problem.Wrong!! The filter was filled up to the top with flakes.The pump howeled. this tank was usually kept almost empty.Dont know how the flakes got there.