Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2006, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 17 Dec 2006 15:40:33 -0500
From:         Mike Collum <collum@VERIZON.NET>
Subject:      Re: Installing Rear Hatch Struts?
Comments: To: Chris Paquette <cxp36@YAHOO.COM>

Chris,

One end is self explanatory ... with a "C" clip that has to be removed before just sliding the rod end off.

The other end (fatter end) has a metal clip that goes around the strut and has to be levered off with a narrow screwdriver or some such. That clip will, without care, go flying only to never be seen again. Once that metal clip (band) is removed the strut just slides off the knob.

Installation is, as they say, the reverse.

Of course, you'll want to support the hatch in the up position with a broom stick or pole of some sort.

If you want some close-up photos of an uninstalled strut just let me know.

BTW, I got 2 heavy duty (both right side struts) instead of the normal "One of each" which makes the hatch much harder to close. I did it on purpose as I sometimes carry a bicycle on the hatch and with both of 'em being heavy duty, the hatch stays up with the bike thereon.

Mike

Chris Paquette wrote: > The rear hatch struts on my '88 Westy are failing and I need to replace > them. Went through the archives on this subject and saw plenty of > discussions on where to buy, which type to get, etc., but nothing on how > exactly to install the replacements. Looking at the existing struts today, I > can't tell how to remove them - I thought they might be just screwed in > place but the actual method seems somewhat more elaborate, and I can't even > tell what tools I need for the job (yes, I mechanically challenged). If > anyone has done this, I appreciate any "how to" tips. > > Also, GoWesty sounds like they have good struts... > > http://www.gowesty.com/ec_view_details.php?id=3324&search_phrase=hatch%20str > ut&start= > > ... but if anyone has had a poor experience with these I'd like to know (I'm > not associated with them). > > > Cheers, > Chris > '88 Westy, "Rocinante" >