Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2006, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 17 Dec 2006 21:53:06 -0200
From:         Jeff Stewart <fonman4277@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Drove Vanagon again-All Is Well

First, thanks to all those who replied with suggestions as to what the problem may be. It sure felt like a plugged cat, something I've experienced before. However, this morning I went out and yanked the plug wires, pulled the distributor and plugs ( I had a new cap,rotor, wires and plugs to go in anyway) and started from scratch. Set # 1 to TDC and reinstalled the dizzy. Put in new plugs, rotor, cap & wires. Engine fired right up-yestereday it took a bit of cranking-not today, touch the key and it started right up. Headed out of town and onto the highway. Yesterday i said toward the end of drive power felt normal, well I was going buy '75 Westy standards. Through town I could tell things were different, but when I hit the on ramp onto the highway it took off! I hit 70 with ease, and the acceration was fantastic. I was impressed with the power-but again my other Westy is a '75. Anyway, todays drive (about 25 miles) was a total success. The only thing is, when I returned home and pulled it into the garage, the idle started to ever so sligthly hunt up and down, a problem I chased in my old '84 Westy and never could get to stop, even after replacing the idle stabilizer. So, now I have to make up my mind, either the Vanagon or the '75 will have to go come springtime, and my daughter (whose a die hard Bay fan) is going to be p*ssed, but the Vanagon is my choice to keep. Love that power, space, stability and HEAT (although I didn't need it here in Virginia today). So, I really don't know what the problem was yesterday, I may have had two plug wires reversed as some suggested. Don't know, don't care-it ran like a champ today. Jeff