Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2006, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 19 Dec 2006 11:34:59 -0800
From:         John Bange <jbange@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Vanagon vs. Toyota Van

> Any thoughts on the Vanagon vs. Toyota Van?

A friend of my father's bought one of those new 20 or so years ago. I saw him last month, still driving that thing around. Original engine, 200K miles plus. He even has the 4WD version. Not really useful 4WD, though. No clearance to speak of, and it's of the "semi-automatic locking hub" type where you have to switch the lever to 4WD, then drive in reverse for 15 feet or so to engage the front wheels. Good for driving up to the ski slopes on a slick road, but it's a toy compared to the Steyr-Puch gear in the Syncro. I guess that's how I'd characterize it in general: like a toy Vanagon--- good for light duty hauling around town, but I'd hate to try go camping in one. An long trips? It's better than a Honda Civic, but it's still pretty small inside. My legs cramp up after an hour or so. I can drive or ride in my Vanagon for hours on end. Heck I drove 9 hours to my sister's house over thanksgiving without stopping but a couple times for gas.

-- John Bange '90 Vanagon - "Geldsauger" "Staubkess bolt? I have one of those?"