Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2006, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 19 Dec 2006 16:13:46 -0800
From:         Jeffrey Vickers <jeff@VICKERSDESIGN.COM>
Subject:      Subie Engines - how hard to find, where to look.

If you are seriously considering doing a conversion John, you should join the Subaru/Vanagon Yahoo list and start readin' !

I would also heed the words of Warren Chapman, our fearless SV moderator when he says, "buy a donor car so you can be sure you get matching parts". Buying an engine and then a harness and then all the other stuff from a junkyard is a perilous venture unless you are sure that everything is coming from one car. Talk to junkyards in your area---they might be able to find a complete car for you and do the stripping work for you. Otherwise, find a little old lady with a 90s Legacy and buy the whole car. You can part the rest out later and maybe make a few quid back.

You can do the whole conversion yourself or pay someone to do it all for you or everything in between. I had Warren find me a motor and do the "prep" work (seals, timing belt, etc) for me. I then did 99% of the wiring harness myself (not hard, just tedious) and then had Tom Shiels in Canada test the harness for me. I just got my engine in the Van two weekends ago and when I have time, I spend an hour here and there working on it. Some guys can do the whole thing in a couple of weeks---I got my engine from Warren last April. Obviously, I am not in a hurry.

I like the 2.2L for its simplicity and bullet-proof nature. Your results may vary.

You can do about 75% of the conversion work w/o disabling your van--- then wait for some good weather and then do the motor switch. The SV list is fantastic and there are lots of really good people to help you get it done. There is no way I could have done it without the SV list.

Jeff / 87 Syncro Westy