Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2006, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 19 Dec 2006 22:49:06 -0600
From:         Max Wellhouse <maxjoyce@IPA.NET>
Subject:      Re: Leaking Vanagon fuel pump case?
Comments: To: roger sisler <rogersisler2000@YAHOO.COM>

Yes, I had a "rebuilt" pump from unknown manufacturer leak at the crimp while on vacation last summer. Wasn't noisiy, just horrible gas mileage, obvious spew from under the car, uh... oh yeah and that fire hazard thing. Getting home thanks to a shop in Wausau, I decided to not cave in to the bad crimp.

I decided to put the infamous Gougeon Brothers West System epoxy to the test by wrapping a duct tape collar around the metal body of the pump after sanding the aluminum and bakelite parts, I catalyzed a couple ounces and poured the epoxy right up to the metal spade terminals. The pump spins fine and the test run on the car divulged that there were no more leaks. Would I trust this pump over the long haul? Prolly not, but I'm thinking it can serve well as a spare. After paying $250 for it from a shyster outfit in Omaha, I was determined to get some more life out of it. I didn't mix any kevlar or glass choppings in there for strength, but maybe next time. If I wanted to make it bullet proof, I'd have lined the duct tape with peel ply so the epoxy would bond better to a subsequent wrapping of glass or kevlar.

I sorta like to play with stuff like this.

DM&FS

At 03:15 PM 12/19/2006, roger sisler wrote:

>Hello, anyone ever heard of a leaking Vanagon ,Bosh fuel pump? I >mean leaking at the connector section.Not from a filter. I searched >the archives from May 2000. I found 422 mentions of fuel pumps.Most >were for noisy pumps. non for leaking cases.There is an o-ring that >seals the end up. Never seen one leak, myself.Roger > > __________________________________________________ >Do You Yahoo!? >Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around >http://mail.yahoo.com > > > >-- >No virus found in this incoming message. >Checked by AVG Free Edition. >Version: 7.1.409 / Virus Database: 268.15.25/593 - Release Date: 12/19/2006

-- No virus found in this outgoing message. Checked by AVG Free Edition. Version: 7.1.409 / Virus Database: 268.15.25/593 - Release Date: 12/19/2006