Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2006, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 20 Dec 2006 15:59:09 +1100
From:         Stephen Overmyer <S.OVERMYER@UWS.EDU.AU>
Subject:      Re: Automatic Westy's vs Manual Westy's  - two wheel

Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2006 20:21:09 -0500 From: Mike Collum <collum@VERIZON.NET> Subject: Re: Automatic Westy's vs Manual Westy's - two wheel

This topic has been hashed over on several occasions, John. Opinions seem to be split but generally indicate that the automatic is a more robust transmission.

I have one of each and I love 'em both ... just for different reasons. If I'm doing a lot of driving in hilly country or a lot of in-town driving, the automatic wins hands down. Being of the old school, though, I kind of like shifting ... most of the time.

An extremely subjective topic and it comes down to what your personal preference is IMO...not which is better because there is no definitive answer to that one.

Me, I have no interest in automatics at all. For the occasional time I encounter stop/start traffic and think about how an auto would be easier in those circumstances, I am then reminded that that kind of driving probably counts for less than 2% of my total driving experience. Would I trade my 5 speed manual for the ease of an auto in traffic <2% of the time? No @#$%ing way!

Personally, I can't even justify an auto on reliability grounds. My manual has 14 years & 296,000kms on it now and has never been touched except for me changing the original gearbox oil @ 90,000kms to synthetic, then again at 180,000kms and more recently at 270,000kms. I am also still going strong on the original clutch....and I do tow trailers sometimes with this van although I don't live in a city thank goodness so....other's experiences will vary as much as opinions on this one. I may in the minority but I want to give a shout out for the manual.

The only thing that would force me into an auto would be my left knee giving out...:-)

Cheers and Merry Christmas to all....

Steve O NSW Australia '92 Transporter WBX Kombi '00 Transporter Double Cab '03 Transporter Double Cab (work truck) '78 Land Rover Series 3 109 soft top ute (ex-Aust.Army)