Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2006, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 20 Dec 2006 00:23:12 EST
From:         JordanVw@AOL.COM
Subject:      driving light placement,  was Re: SA grills available again
Comments: To: kimbrennan@MAC.COM

In a message dated 12/19/06 11:53:15 PM Eastern Standard Time, kimbrennan@MAC.COM writes:

> In the rest of the world there are MAINS which you DIP when there is > on coming traffic. The US uses Low Beams and High Beams. Driving > lights are MAINs, and hence the equivalent of HIGH BEAMS, and the > other drivers are DAMN RIGHT to flash you if you drive around with > your mains on. You are blinding them. > > Eurospec headlights have a VERY sharp cut off which means you don't > blind on coming drivers. US low beams scatter the light much more. US > high beams scatter a fair amount too. Main beams in European spec > direct the light straight out and are very bright to on coming > drivers, which is why they dip them (i.e switch to low beams.) >

actually it depends on where the driving lights are placed. if the driving lights were down below the bumper, not inline with the main headlights, then you wouldnt get 'flashed"... im running driving lights below the bumper on my audi, and i never get flashed.. but the same wattage lights inline with the headlights on the SA grille, gets me "flashed" all the time..

chris