Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2006, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 20 Dec 2006 11:38:15 -0500
From:         Sudhir Desai <sudhir.desai@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: More? New? Better? nah! (editorial content)

That's why people considering an element have to get a Scion xB. The same boxy utilitarianness without all the electronic whoojiwhats. Furthermore, I think it's considerably cheaper. :D

Sudhir

On 12/20/06, Jeff Lincoln <magikvw@gmail.com> wrote: > I hear you loud and clear Don. > > First, I considered a Honda Element. I like them but I think the reason I > like them is that they are really the closest thing (that I know of) to > having the versatility of a Vanagon (and they don't do it as well). > > As for all the gadgets and automatic this and that. Well, I have thought the > same thing. That is just one more thing to quit working. Sure those are nice > conveniences to have but aren't necessary in my opinion. > > > > On 12/20/06, Don Hanson <dhanson@gorge.net> wrote: > > > > I've recently returned to VW ownership, first with an old Beetle ('72) > > and now an older Vanagon. Makes me wonder about 'stuff'. > > When driving either of my 'new' vehicles I often look around at the > > other stuff on the road and think things like...'Hey, lookit that Honda > > Element, is it ten times the vehicle that my $3k vanagon is?" Or.."how > > about that_____,(mmm, I can't even think of a car that compares to a > > Beetle...but) do I want one of those? Could I fix that in the middle of > > Nevada with a screwdriver and some pliers?" > > After 33 years of Automotive Evolution, I figure my Vw Vanagon is right > > up there with the best new stuff available. Is that just me? > > > > I watched a lady get into her Chrysler mini-van the other evening. She > > walked up thumbing her key fob till the lights blinked and the horn > > beeped...Up went the rear door, automatically..(Good thing my van wasn't > > parked behind her, or my pickup with the light bar..) She stuck her kid > > into the toddler seat, after dis abling the automatic seat belt function, > > then went round and got in, again thumbing the key fob...More blinking > > lights and horn then the door slid shut, automatically and down the hatch > > came, automatically.Seat belts wrapped her up and away she went. Wonder > > how all those Gizmos will be working in 35 years? The doors didn't even > > have handles...Wonder if that POS was worth $20k+ to her?..musta been.. > > Dunno, ya gotta wonder about a culture that finds people buying Hummers > > for daily drivers and who find pushing a key fob more desirable than pushing > > a mechanical door latch... > > Don Hanson > > > > > > -- > Thanks, > > Jeff > 90' Carat (It's Blue, It's Beautiful, It needs a lot of work) > 86' (Soon to be donating organs to the 90') > 85' GL (sidelined but to be resurrected in the near future) >