Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2006, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 15 Dec 2006 11:11:06 -0800
From:         Old Volks Home <oldvolkshome@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Rear wheel bearing spacer, replacement always necessary?
Comments: To: Mike Collum <collum@verizon.net>

Volkswagen/Bentley calls for replacement only if there is severe wear and/or damage. The 71-79 Type 2 and the 80-91 Vanagon use the same spacer (they call it a spacer sleeve) (211-501-281 E). While the Vanagon Bentley isn't as detailed in the R&R procedures, the Type 2 68-79 Bentley has much more detail and provides the following:

"Spacer sleeves with an outside diameter of 42mm (my note - probably pre "E" spacer) and spacer sleeves with an outside diameter of 46mm have both been installed during manufacture (my note - this generally applies to the Type 2). However, only the 46mm sleeve is available as a replacement part. If one sleeve must be replaced, also replace the sleeve at the opposite rear wheel." (Bentley Type 2 68-79, Section 6, Procedure 10.5, page 60)

In my 35+ years experience, I have never had to replace the spacer sleeve on any IRS-based VW (Bug, Bus, Vanagon), because I've never encountered any damaged or severely worn spacer sleeves. I've sold several used ones over the past 29 years, but only to those having misplaced/lost theirs (hey, it happens) or if they're building a rear bearing housing from scratch to have a "remove and replace" on a quick basis, such as those mechanics that repair off-road sand rails using the late Type 2 IRS axle/suspension assemblies (why? 68-79 Type 2 Bearing Housings have the lower shock mount which can snap with the extreme "bounce and abuse" of off-roading. The shock mount on the Vanagon has their shock mount on the control arm).

New spacer sleeves are $41.71 each thru Bus Depot. I'm sure VAG is a bit more.

http://www.busdepot.com/details.jsp?partnumber=211501281E -- Jim Thompson 84 Westfalia 2.1 "Ole Putt" 73 K Ghia Coupe "Denise" 72 411 Station Wagon "Pug" oldvolkshome@gmail.com http://www.oldvolkshome.com ********************************** On 12/15/06, Mike Collum <collum@verizon.net> wrote: > > I see that most vendors offer replacement rear bearings and seals but > not the bearing spacer. > > Is it really necessary to replace the spacers or is that only for when > the rear bearings have "Really" become worn and things have loosened up? > > Have any of you replaced the rear bearings only to learn later that you > should have replaced the spacers, too? > > The archives are somewhat sparse with related information though I do > see where Frank Condelli recommends replacing them as a matter of course. > > Thanks, > > Mike > '84 GL 7 pass > '85 GL Westy