Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2006, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 20 Dec 2006 22:33:50 EST
From:         Jeff Oxroad <Oxroad@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Recommended "Club" Type Security Device for Westy?
Comments: To: cxp36@YAHOO.COM

I've got a two-prong attack. I have the CLUB for SUVs which I guess is a little bigger (longer) and works well with the large diameter steering wheel on the Vanagon. AND I have the WEDGE which locks the clutch or brake pedal. (I'm in LA, CA afterall.)

I sort of thought the CLUB was stupid until someone tried to steal my friend's Cabrio around the corner from me and was foiled by her CLUB. I guess they tried to kick it off the steering wheel and busted the windshield with the still attached CLUB in the process. Once the windsheild broke they left the car alone.

Obviously what your deterring with the CLUB is a "crime of opportunity" where some kids or what have you are walking by and don't have a "professional" plan. And I think that's worth deterring.

A note on the WEDGE. I bought a huge carabiner at Home Depot that you're supposes to use to hang rolled extension chords or bikes or ladders (allegedly) and I also bought a colorful coiled cable key chain fob I've attached the carabiner and to the WEDGE. I clip the huge carabiner onto the steering wheel when the WEDGE is locked to the brake pedal.

It's dark down on the floor and a person could forget the WEDGE is on the brake, start the vehicle and start backing up only to find the brake pedal imobilized. I'm that person. So I got the idea to remind myself it's down there from those motorcycle front wheel locks with a similar cable and clip to remind the driver not to move the vehicle until the lock removed.

(The WEDGE comes with a colorful shower cap type thing you're supposed to put on the steering wheel to remind you and deter theives as well.)

A kill switch is a good idea, naturally.

Best, Jeff 83.5 Westy LA,CA

In a message dated 12/20/2006 12:59:57 PM Pacific Standard Time, cxp36@YAHOO.COM writes: >I'd be interested to hear recommendations on a "Club" type security device - >t>he type of thing one locks onto the steering wheel to prevent theft. I know >there are many types available but I'd like to find out from listees which >type they've chosen for their vehicles.