Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2006, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 21 Dec 2006 11:12:40 -0600
From:         Jerry <jbvelo@BELLSOUTH.NET>
Subject:      Re: Leaky front end
Comments: To: "Richards, Andrew" <Andrew.Richards@NIKE.COM>

Hey Andrew, I have an 88 Vanagon GL. Guess what, mine has the exact same leak. I sealed the windshield months ago and fixed the leak. I sealed it with some black RTV silicone with an injector nozzle (squeeze cheese can)so I could get the sealant into the corner area of the windshield between the body and seal. I think mine was leaking because the windshield seal was old and brittle. Well, I eventually had to replace the old windshield because of a crack. The glass company came out on site to replace my windshield. The guy didn't have an original 2 piece VW seal. He used a more common 1 piece seal without the bead on the outside. I told him about my leak problem in the left lower corner of the windshield and he assured me I didn't need any sealant on the windshield he was putting in. I should have insisted on him putting sealant in the corner. The first good rain I had water standing in the rubber floormat on the drivers side. I have been trying to seal the windshield ever since. I think the seal he used does not fit tight enough into the windshield channel and water is getting behind the seal. I have another chip in my windshield which will develop into a crack. I'll have the windshield replaced again with the proper seal and bead. Good luck! Jerry Baker KY