Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2006, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 15 Dec 2006 14:54:27 -0500
From:         Benny boy <huotb@VIDEOTRON.CA>
Subject:      Re: Fuel pump buzzing
Comments: To: Geza Polony <gezapolony@SBCGLOBAL.NET>

Pump can make noise for along time! how long is the question! Noise is NOT normal, why do you have noise is the question: faulty bearing, impeller, dirth, particuls, motor, partially cloggued tank (small screens inside).... intermittent problem!

Of course, this stuff is comming from the fuel tank, now, is the tank flowing normally? what is a normal flow! now! how much dirt this tank has, a lot, just a bit and your unlucky, or just enough to clog the screen?

i have install many new Bosch pump, never a customer came back, BUT, is quality cheaper, yes, Bosch is doing what everyone is doing... having theirs stuff built cheaper in asian country. Now, i think that quality is still good enough, but, your fuel tank is 20 years old or so!

So here is my suggestion, change that pump, why, because you change the filter and you still have noise! now, maybe you have normal wear and the pump is kapoot, so, with a new filter and pump, everything will sound nice... but maybe only for a wile, if so, you will need a new tank! Another sign of dirty tank with new pump (or old) is fuel starvation = bucking, hesitation and low power!

If noise doesn't come back and driving is smooth, you should be ok and you only had a old pump that did is share of work.

If you have a fuel pressure tester, you could check the full pressure of that pump by blocking the return line, some old pump don't even climb over 50psi.

Best regards, Ben

My 1.9 fuel pump's been buzzing for about 9 months now. I just replaced the white box filter and cleaned up the contacts and ground, which made it worse if anything. Two questions:

1. Is this a sign of impending failure for the pump? Or will they just go on and on like this? We're planning a trip to Death Valley and fuel pumps are hard to come by in those parts.

2. I've heard of a lot of people replacing the pump only to have it make the same sound. That tells me it's something else--fuel tank crud, pressure regulator, or? How can you make sure the pump is the real problem?

Bottom line, I don't want to spring for a new pump if I don't have to, or if the problem is the regulator or tank.

Thanks for advice--