Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2006, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 21 Dec 2006 21:09:13 -0500
From:         Edward Maglott <emaglott@BUNCOMBE.MAIN.NC.US>
Subject:      Re: Improvements to Vanagon crash safety? Maybe time for a
              Eurovan camper?

Neil, Think about how your vanagon would have done in the same crash situation as your Honda. I can't remember all the details other than you ended up getting hit from behind and pushed into another car. Your Honda is made of lightweight thin metal that probably crumpled up nicely in the front. The Vanagon has a very strong structure in the front that would not have crumpled up as much, if at all. I feel that as long as I'm hitting a car, where the mass of the car will be at or near Vanagon bumper level, that structure will help protect me. The spike in G forces will be higher since there is no crumple zone in the vanagon. The scary thing is hitting a taller vehicle like a truck, where the mass of it will be above that sturdy structure and crush in on me. I'm not too worried about being hit from the rear. Again the lack of crumple zone means I'm going to take quite a whack, but I do have a fairly good seat and head restraint.

I have a friend with a 93 Eurovan "weekender." Has the pop up top, but no kitchen. My impression is that it seems larger on the outside and smaller on the inside. I think the Vanagon rear engine layout is tops for efficient use of space. Even without the kitchen, his Eurovan seems relatively cramped compared to my full Westy vanagon. The pop up top is much lower profile on the outside of the vehicle, but is fussier to put down and get the canvas in place. The fold down bed in the top is set up such that you can't store stuff in the top, IIRC. My typical camping mode is to pop the top and put stuff up there to keep the downstairs free of clutter. I think the Eurovan engine is harder to work on than the Vanagon due to reduced access.

...and that ends my ramblings on this topic. Edward

At 07:41 PM 12/21/2006, neil wrote: >Hi all. > >In light of a recent vehicle accident I had, (in daily driver Honda) >I'm reconsidering my options for a camper van. Even though I too have >grown very fond of my Vanagon/Westy, I'm curious about a later model >Vanagon or the Eurovan. As such did some reading and have some >questions. > >Have there been any significant improvements made to later model >Vanagons/Westies in regards to crash safety? > >If not, and since I've gathered that the Eurovan may be safer, is it >as good of a camper (functionality/interior) as the Westy? > >Given what I've read of Eurovan campers, it seems the actual Westy is >a better camper all round. Just looking for any real life experience. >I guess I should ask the camper quesiton on WetWesties too.... > >I realize I'm still swayed by my emotions due to accident, and that >there are many other factors, (other that vehicle design) involved in >being safe in any vehicle. Regardless, I would like to *possibly* make >a better choice to satisfy my camping habit. > >TIA, > >-- >Neil Nicholson. Still in love with his 1981 Air Cooled Westfalia. > >http://web.mac.com/tubaneil