Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2006, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 21 Dec 2006 19:54:00 -0800
From:         Florian Speier <groups.florian@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Improvements to Vanagon crash safety? Maybe time for a
              Eurovan camper?
Comments: To: neil <musomuso@gmail.com>

Neil, I drove a eurovan for years in germany. Yes, I believe its safer, but what everyone else says about space is correct. if you fold down the rear bed, it exactly touches the reversed seat behind the driver. In ther words, when the bed is down, there is hardly any room left. On the bright side, the storage space underneath the bed, where the vanagon engine is, is great. an exception is the american market eurovan camper by winnebago, which is based on the long wheel base eurovan, so interior space is fine again. Its a looong vehicle though, and looks like an rv. agt that point i rather consider the sprinter westfalia, which is not really more bulky and a much better car - interior and exterior. for now, I stay wiht the vanagon. If I had some extra money to spend on safety, I would get the upgraded front and rear brakes, the big bumpers, and maybe an abs system from the german sellers who take these out of german spec vanagons. dont know if thats compatible with the brake upgrade, though.

flo

On 12/21/06, neil <musomuso@gmail.com> wrote: > > Hi all. > > In light of a recent vehicle accident I had, (in daily driver Honda) > I'm reconsidering my options for a camper van. Even though I too have > grown very fond of my Vanagon/Westy, I'm curious about a later model > Vanagon or the Eurovan. As such did some reading and have some > questions. > > Have there been any significant improvements made to later model > Vanagons/Westies in regards to crash safety? > > If not, and since I've gathered that the Eurovan may be safer, is it > as good of a camper (functionality/interior) as the Westy? > > Given what I've read of Eurovan campers, it seems the actual Westy is > a better camper all round. Just looking for any real life experience. > I guess I should ask the camper quesiton on WetWesties too.... > > I realize I'm still swayed by my emotions due to accident, and that > there are many other factors, (other that vehicle design) involved in > being safe in any vehicle. Regardless, I would like to *possibly* make > a better choice to satisfy my camping habit. > > TIA, > > -- > Neil Nicholson. Still in love with his 1981 Air Cooled Westfalia. > > http://web.mac.com/tubaneil >