Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2006, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 22 Dec 2006 16:55:00 -0600
From:         "J \"Westy\"" <rbluewesty@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Leaky front end
Comments: To: John Rodgers <inua@charter.net>

I agree with the 2 stated choices: either windshield seal or antenna.

After purchasing a new seal and taking it to a windshield replacement shop last month, they scrutinized the job that had been done prior: clearly the glass & seal this was not the original, and they found the replacement "extremely well done" and recommended against replacing it. On top of this, it was a day when it was raining cats & dogs so there was a better opportunity to see if the seal was at fault. Although they were willing to take my money, they suggested against it and look for another cultprit.

On the rewiring of the headlights and installation of relays I noticed that the antenna does pass through a channel behind the dash and isn't in a separate tube that extends to behind the driver's headlight as I'd suspected. So, for the heck of it (the headlights & instrument cluster cover were out anyway), I loosened the antenna and found the seal under the antenna cover to be a sticky residue that was wadded up. So I cleaned it and replaced it with silicon sealant.

Last two rain storms I've felt for the normal leak and I think it's solved (or it's wishful thinking). The problem is that the rain & weather is so darn cold that cold metal with my warm hand feels wet. I haven't used paper towels yet to determine if there's moisture.

I'd check the antenna & reseal the area just in case...

-- In "V"anagon "W"esty Love, Light, & Laughter, Jay '87 Westy, Springfield, MO 345K miles

On 12/21/06, John Rodgers <inua@charter.net> wrote: > > > > I'm certainly open to suggestions. > >