Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2006, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 22 Dec 2006 18:13:30 -0500
From:         Don Hanson <dhanson@GORGE.NET>
Subject:      Re: Come out of the closet, all

> >> I'm curious: how many artsy-fartsy folks on this >> list? Is there a >> relationship between this unfortunate disorder and >> loving vanagons? There is >> a stereotype of hippies/vw buses, but does that >> still echo on with the 80s >> version of the bus? >> BTW I count myself as one. >> >> Nathaniel >>

Wow, I must double down on this one. I am kinda artsy, I suppose. Most of my trades have become what is known as Arts now that craftsmanship is un- affordable to the masses. Boat builder, Cabinetmaker, custom home builder, surfboard shaper, anything to do with hand/eye work..But all that stuff is done overseas now, except the custom homes. Those are done here, still, but only by one craftsman using 20 illegals to do the actual work.. And I could be known as a hippy..Ginsberg actually came to a party once at a crash pad where I was living in the yard in my 57 bus with paisley curtains..He was pretty dull.. I had that bus at the Montery Pop Festival and saw Hendricks, Joplin, Buffalo Springfield, etc etc..live.. But for many years I went bus-less...Living in Wyoming was not a place for an air cooled vehicle in winter... Now, shall I break out the Santos..? Nope...BTDT.. After many years of work trucks as transport and motos and sports cars for fun, the Vanagon really is a refreshing 'de-volution'. Smaller and more nimble than a truck, better mileage and more room and ever so much simpler than my Porsche 928 was before it morphed into a full race car. I think there are two main groups..those like me who've had good luck with VWs in the past, and the new younger group who are like I was when I was younger, but without all the dumb drugs..(smiley face)

Don Hanson