Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2006, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 22 Dec 2006 17:25:53 -0800
From:         Nathaniel Poole <npoole@TELUS.NET>
Subject:      Re: "Granny Cars" (Element, Scion, etc)

But what all of the "cult" VWs had and have going for them are that they are also weird. I mean, aircooled motors? And nothing else looks like them. The bug was a design from the 30s, after all. And because of engineering "quirkiness", they seemed to have personalities - you never know what one is going to do.

Is being an ugly well-engineered vehicle enough to make a cult following? I dunno. Do these things have personalities? It's my guess that that's one of the reasons people name these old VWs.

I once owned a '74 Fiat Spider. Total POS, and it was a daily battle to see who would come out on top, it or me, but I loved it. The roar of the exhaust, the wood dash, the rattles, smell of the old vinyl, the handling. Many years later I took a Miata for a drive. Good, modern, precise car, quieter, better ride. Boring as hell. No heart, just a machine.

Maybe one of the reasons we like these old VWs because all their quirks and imperfections and flaws show the human element behind them. Japanese vehicles tend to look and feel like they were designed by computers. Old VWs feel like they were design by bright, fat old guys named Helmut and Wolfgang over too many tankards of beer. Helmut was busy scratching his balls and Wolfgang was distracted by the thought of the upcoming visit by his gorgeous sister-in-law when they came up with the first heater box.

Maybe it's the Helmuts and Wolfgangs we're really fond of, the crazy, loveable buggers.

Nathaniel