Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2006, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 22 Dec 2006 20:45:47 -0500
From:         Geza Polony <gezapolony@SBCGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: Strange no-start problem

Thanks to everyone--I appreciate the suggestions.

What I don't get is the gradual worsening of the starting situation over a week's time. Evan's right, it may have nothing to do with the fuel system changes I made--could be coincidental. I suspected the distributor wiring as the wires were totally bare where they come out of the distributor base, and they'll obviously need to be fixed right. But having wrapped them with tape to no effect, I'm looking elsewhere. Also, the tach does move when turning the starter motor. Next step is getting hold of a pressure meter, maybe the Home Depot model, and checking fuel pressure.

There are so many failure points on these aging vehicles, and that coupled with the fact that so many of us take them on long trips into the middle of nowhere makes you stop and think.

Nine months ago I was on the top of a mountain, 7,000 feet high, alone with my daughter, when it began to snow. What if the fuel pump had decided to go then? We might have ended up like the Kims...

...and one more thing...it's amazing how emotionally wrapped up you get in these things, in spite of the fact that your head is telling you it's a totally logical series of interconnected systems. I feel lousy when the Westy's feelin' lousy. Hard to remember it's just a bunch of glass and steel and rubber and whatnot...anybody else go through this?

thanks again, I'll keep y'all posted

Geza