Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2006, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 22 Dec 2006 21:09:39 -0500
From:         Jack R <jack007@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: Strange no-start problem

As an owner of an 84 Westie, with the 1.9 until about 2 months ago, when Tom installed a 2.1L for me, I have had just about EVERY problem you can think of. I've owned my Van since 87, and have put over 100k miles on it. I now have two ECU's one is practically brand new (for sale!), and one used one, that really didn't need replacing.

As of the "Strange no-start problem" start by checking the relays, it's been a while since I chased down problems, since my van was with-out a motor for about 2 years. (Actually, I had a Brand new 2.5L 5cly TDI, that I had full intention of installing, but got too busy, and it found a much better home in a Syncro Westie).

The distributor cap is always a good spot to check, also the idle stabilizer (easy to by-pass connecting both ends together). The eventual death of my 1.9 was due to a #3 cylinder failure. It was evident during a leak-down that it was not up to snuff. Also, flooded out, lots of white smoke, and even less power than usual.

Once more area is the O2 sensor, wires etc. if they get wet, and it dies, then replace the sensor. Check ALL vacuum hoses, they do crack under the mesh, and it can be hard to see leaks. They are easy to swap out. Remove and clean all the electrical connectors, use di-electric grease to re-connect.

My bet is a relay, but all the other stuff can't hurt.

Please let us know what the solution is!

Best of luck to you getting it back on the road!

Jack 84 Wolfie (with a new Power Steering Line as of about 30 minutes ago). North of Detroit.