Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2006, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 24 Dec 2006 07:18:00 EST
From:         Frank Condelli <RAlanen@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Oil Pressure = 0
Comments: cc: route66rider@KNOLOGY.NET

In a message dated 23/12/2006 9:26:43 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, LISTSERV@GERRY.VANAGON.COM writes:

Greetings All, I am back at it again. I managed to check my daughter's 86 Vanagon with the no oil pressure this morning. It now has oil pressure, but it also has a major leak at or around the oil filter adapter. I assume there is some type of gaskets or o-ring on this, but have not yet pulled it off to verify. Can anyone confirm the gasket/o-ring?

Also, I did manage to find the "ETKA 6.3 and download same to my computer HD, and complete the install process. However, I am unable to run same due to a "Hard lock: error 14" that appears. The op/sys I use is Win XP on this box, so I was wondering if anyone could give me any clues on this also.

Brain dead also on where the link to search the archives on vanagon.com went to.

Thanks again to all who may be out there today and a very merry Christmas to all!

Ramon, the most likely cause of the oil leak is the O-ring gasket between the oil cooler and block has gone out. This is a very, very common problem that surfaces especially in cold weather start-ups. Check the archives around this time last year and you will see. The new gasket will last longer as the material has been improved. So to go about changing it without undue hassle you need to remove the pipe nipple that holds the oil cooler to the block. This can be easily done by using two nuts locked together on the threads then backing out the pipe nipple. Clean and dry both of the mating surfaces where the new O-ring will sit, LIGHTLY coat the new O-ring with Grey (for use on aluminium surfaces) RTV Silicone Sealant, this will help keep the new O-ring in place until you put back the pipe nipple and tighten up the nut to seat the oil cooler to the block. The new O-ring should have locating tabs on it to hook up with the tabs on the oil cooler. Every time you change your oil filter you should check the tightness for that nut holding the oil cooler in place. That will keep it from blowing out on another cold morning start-up later on in life.

Can't help you with the ETKA 6.3 as I have never been able to get my copy working either. I use ETKA 5.3 and it works just fine with Win XP.

Cheers,

Frank Condelli Almonte, Ontario, Canada '87 Westy, '90 Carat, '87 Wolfsburg (Forsale) & Lionel Trains Vanagon/Vanagon Westfalia Service in the Ottawa Valley _Frank Condelli & Associates_ (http://members.aol.com/Fkc43/busindex.html) _Vanagon Stainless Steel Exhaust Systems_ (http://members.aol.com/Fkc43/stebro.htm) _BusFusion_ (http://members.aol.com/BusFusion/bfhome.htm) a VW Camper camping event, Almonte, ON, June 07 ~ 10, 2007