Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2006, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 24 Dec 2006 14:54:49 -0800
From:         Jim Felder <felder@KNOLOGY.NET>
Subject:      Re: Writers aren't artists
Comments: To: Nathaniel Poole <npoole@TELUS.NET>

It seemed after maybe a week of pacing a rough oval around the sparsely-furnished room that he could not watch the monkey for another five minutes, much less another three days. Watching the monkey seemed to consist mostly of not watching the monkey, of getting his mind out of that room, out of Winnipeg, out of this country at last. Did he need the money badly enough to keep doing it until payday came around? What if it never came around? He had had plenty of time to think about that. There wasn't much distinction between day an night in the interior atrium that bottomed out in an alley slick with grease from the restaurant three stories below. In that horribly calculated ambivalence between day and night, between thought and dreaming, between fear of the monkey running out of sedative and awakening in a rage and even getting caught with the sleeping monkey and the need for the money it would take to get back to Mumbai, the only thing that really got through clearly to Assam was the thought that there might be no money. Just the monkey, at the end of the ten days. After all, he had never met the monkey's owner, or so he now thought. The man who handed him the bundle in the bus station may not have been the owner. He dressed in a theatrical way like a man who might actually travel with a monkey for some kind of entertainment, but this monkey was too large for an organ grinder's sidekick. He was dangerous looking, too, and Assam had been terrified of him since before the monkey awoke from his tranquilized state. His mouth hung open like a dying man's, but much more terrifying. The blanket the monkey had been wrapped in was so soaked by the monkey's drooling mouth that Assam shook as he signed the register the week before he had holed up here. He shook at the time because of his fear at the time of being questioned by the man behind the desk. The dripping of his only set of clothes, drying slowly over a plastic bag on the floor in the dim corner, reminded him of that awful mouth and that wet blanket containing the sleeping monkey and the cans of cat food and sedative that stood between Assam and the rage of this monster, panting shallowly, that he feared but knew nothing about.

Fear and discomfort. That's what the last seven days and the next three were to mean for Assam. He found himself pacing again to keep warm while his clothes slowly dripped in the near-dark. As his feet shuffled he imagined a potato-shaped path, visible in the dust on the ceiling below him, that traced the furthest possible extent of the path that he could possible take around the monkey lying on the table in the center of the room. He imagined spies in the room below, too, or at least one spy or enemy. Could he have sunk so low in the short time and the relatively few miles since fleeing the Ashram in San Francisco without the intervention of someone who hated him terribly? Were old enemies from Mumbai following him to extract revenge for the money he had taken from wealthy Korean and English and American expatriates looking for enlightenment? Were the man at the bus station, the monkey's purported owner, and the man behind the counter downstairs the same person? They certainly could be. He could be captive here, awaiting his assassin or even worse. And what was the difference between money and monkey, besides the letter K? Did that explain why he was in room K? Or the fact that bundle contained a letter with the cat food cans with instructions for his charge, signed by K? He shivered and ran to the window. A three story fall wouldn't kill him, but they might injure him badly enough to get him into the hands of someone, anyone, who could save him.

The wind blew hard and the cabinet door squeaked on the cold breeze. A voice that seemed to come from the monkey's poisoned cat food hissed "do it. Assam! Do it." The breath behind the voice smelled like the cat food itself, the only thing in this room that screamed louder at him than the odor of the sleeping monkey.

He reflexively reached for and possibly suddenly understood the purpose of the heretofore inexplicable item from the bundle, the one item that was not acknowledged in the fastidious instructions from K. The room was no longer dim, but clear, and his thought was at once brilliant and plain. His future, at least the next ten seconds of it, were as obvious to him as the instructions on the shampoo bottle that had been his only reading material, besides the note from K, for a week.

Assam reached for the hammer.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Jim