Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2006, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 22 Dec 2006 09:01:43 -0800
From:         Old Volks Home <oldvolkshome@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Power Steering Rack rubber boot mismatch?? BS66057 vs BS88145
Comments: To: Paul Guzyk <paullist@guzyk.com>

Sounds like some aftermarket numbers (Dorman, Royze, Moog, etc.,) I'm unaware of.

Rack boots are the same on both Power and Non-Power Steering Racks and should not have changed size even when rebuilt.

Airhead Parts carries original, genuine VW Rack Boots, 251-419-831 A, made in Germany. The manufacturer's number, WFJ 024257/2 along with the VW Number is embossed on one end of the boot. Airhead has plenty of boots in stock.

http://www.airheadparts.com/viewDetail.asp?strMasterCat=&idproduct=5635 -- Jim Thompson 84 Westfalia 2.1 "Ole Putt" 73 K Ghia Coupe "Denise" 72 411 Station Wagon "Pug" oldvolkshome@gmail.com http://www.oldvolkshome.com *Have a Happy & SAFE Holiday* ********************************** On 12/21/06, Paul Guzyk <paullist@guzyk.com> wrote: > > I ordered a couple of replacement steering rack boots. The VW part > number is supposed to be 251419831A. The boots I received had the > number BS66057 embossed into the rubber on the rack side of the boot. > > Q1: Is this the correct boot? > > I cannot seem fit the new boots onto my rack, the rack end of the > boots are way to tight to slip over the rack. BTW, the old boot had > number BS88145 embossed into it and the old ones have a larger > opening. > > Q2: Perhaps the rack on my van has been replaced with a > rebuilt/aftermarket rack (it looks like it has) and the rebuilt racks > use different (larger) boots? Has anyone experienced this problem > before, if so, where did you get the proper boot? >