Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2006, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 25 Dec 2006 14:49:58 -0800
From:         Sam P <samhp@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Stuck again !!

I store my 91 GL each winter in a dry, secure lock-up garage. Several times a month I will go to the garage and fire up the engine just to hear it run. Last year on several occasions when I did this the accelerator linkage " stuck" causing the engine to rev uncontrollably to the red line before I can shut off the ignition. I found that if I go into the engine compartment and pull on the rather large linkage rod I can reset the revs but depressing the accelerator causes the high revs again. This happened last winter in the storage garage but when the weather got warmer and all summer long there was no problem. My gut feeling is that this linkage rod is hanging up at some location which does not allow it to return to the idle position when the accelerator pedal is released. It happened again today. The temperature here is not too cold, a bottle of distilled water in the garage is not frozen. Tomorrow I will venture under the van armed with a can of spray lubricant. Is there some place I can look to spray the silicone lubricant that may resolve the problem?

I should add that when I had this problem last winter a list member sent me a diagram of the accelerator linkage. I still have this somewhere and will search for it in the morning. Thank you for your help. SAM