Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2006, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 22 Dec 2006 10:02:46 -0800
From:         Old Volks Home <oldvolkshome@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Propane bleeder valve gloves..

Don't know if the DOT frowns on it (probably does), but I know California defintely frowns on it. Most every Propane Refill place I've been to has indicated they will not refill tanks that are mounted inside of a vehicle, permanent or removeable (portable), saying it's against state regulations and they don't care for the liability. I've run these outside tanks for decades without having them "bashed" or "breached" and I've done some serious off-roading in both Bay Window and Vanagon Campers where it could conceiveably happen, only the steel guards around them knocked about, but that's what they're designed for. Of course, if you don't run the steel guards around the tanks like originally equipped, sure you're gonna have a more potential risk for it. But I will prefer what I (and the industry) consider Safety over incovenience any day (and I really don't find it inconvenient anyway).

Motorhomes have been doing it for years without a serious industry recall or investigation. Granted, the more modern motorhome or conversion van now have them tucked further in, but they are still outside as per RVIA certifications. Have you ever seen what a van looks like from a propane explosion on the inside? I have and it's not a pretty sight. I won't carry propane bottles inside my rig just because of that. It's bad enough to have the propane lines inside for the fridge and stove, even if they're turned off. I won't even carry those disposable Coleman type propane bottles inside my Westy, they're carried in the trailer or on the roof rack.

That doesn't mean people obey the law, a lot of them I've run across carry their 10 pound tanks lashed up inside their vans, they appear not to care when I mention it in passing. To each their own I guess. -- Jim Thompson 84 Westfalia 2.1 "Ole Putt" 73 K Ghia Coupe "Denise" 72 411 Station Wagon "Pug" oldvolkshome@gmail.com http://www.oldvolkshome.com *Have a Happy & SAFE Holiday* ********************************** On 12/21/06, Don Hanson <dhanson@gorge.net> wrote: > > Have you thought of perhaps using a screwdriver on the bleeder > valve? Seems to be the way all the propane guys do it on removable bottles > (which I have in my vanagon) You could probably replace or > re-configure the bleeder valve knob so that a screwdiver would work or > maybe a socket. Or how bout some needle nose vise grips? > > One tool that does everything for me...the needle nose vise grip..Don't > leave home without some... > > I won't have another van with an 'under the chassis' tank. Very > inconvenient, and quite dangerous, in my opinion. I would rather sacrifice > some interior space to a real portable tank so that I can fill it at my > convenience without having to work my vanagon up next to some propane > vendor's hose. I just make sure I have plenty of ventilation wherever I > mount the tank inside. I've seen many tanks bashed and almost breached by > road debris or curbs or rocks.. I am not saying this as a > recommendation. The DOT probably frowns on it.. > > Don Hanson