Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2006, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 26 Dec 2006 22:26:00 -0500
From:         Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: wiring a vanagon for towing

Tow trucks do not need to fully light a towed vehicle as this is a short distance, usually emergency tow. They also have warning lights on top of the tow truck.

As a towed vehicle following a towing vehicle, it is by definition a trailer. Therefore must conform to trailer lighting and braking laws. I am on vacation, not home with references, but at 14+ feet in length, you have a trailer that needs side markers, at least at the rear.

For a simple lighting hook up- 3 wires plus ground will get you tail lights and markers, right and left turn signals, and except for being yellow, the rear turn signals will act as brake lights. Roadmaster sells a low cost controller that can be added to the towed vehicle. When both motor home turn signals are on such for brake lights, the towed vehicle brake lights will also be activated. I use this set up. As I also have a brake light installed in the rear window, when the motor home brakes are activated, 5 lights in the back of the bus turn on.

For a quick installation, the turn signal wires can be pick ep under the steering column. The tail lights either near the switch or getting the wire at the left front parking light is real easy. The brake lights if needed can be had at the switches on the master cylinder.

Without using diodes are other isolating devices, you need to be careful not to turn on the Vanagon lights, turn signals, brake lights, etc. while connected to the motor home. The motor home electrics will have no problem supporting the Vanagon. If both vehicles get the switches turned on at the same time, then the lighting circuits can become battery charging circuits and nasty things can happen.

Having the side and front markers working while towing will make the van visible behind the motor home, especially during turns when needed. Avoid high level light bars on the roof rack. Gets attention. For markers OK, but there are limits for stop and turn signals. Width should not exceed the mirrors are as the law states, "federally required" safety equipment. This is how RV manufacturers get away with awnings, (except in Canada). Yes, Some RV manufacturers have gone back to ~100" wide motor homes so they can install awnings for Canada. Does 2" matter?

I don't remember what motor home you have but make sure it is rated for the task. Many, especially Fleetwood can not handle 5,000 pounds with out flexing and twisting the rear frame extensions and pulling a 4 wheel vehicle is much harder than a trailer. With 4 wheels on the ground, any side to side motion means the front wheels have to be dragged. The RV damage is subtle and often unnoticed at first. The first signs are the leaky roofs and loose cabinets. My Tioga had the floor dropping just after the frame extensions. And don't forget the brakes.

Dennis

_________________________________________________________________ Find sales, coupons, and free shipping, all in one place! MSN Shopping Sales & Deals http://shopping.msn.com/content/shp/?ctid=198,ptnrid=176,ptnrdata=200639