Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2006, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 26 Dec 2006 22:36:08 -0500
From:         Joy Hecht <jhecht@ALUM.MIT.EDU>
Subject:      Re: Come out of the closet, all

I like your attitude, Joe! Do lots of good stuff and don't worry about the labels.

I think actually that's why I said I didn't consider my writing to be art. Nor my quilting or photography or any of the rest of it. There seems to be snob thing about calling oneself an artist, or creative, or "dancing to a different drummer" - as if it made us all so exceptional and different and therefore somehow superior to all those more mundane folks out there. I don't want to go there.

Joy

:::-----Original Message----- :::From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM] On Behalf :::Of joe trussell :::Sent: Tuesday, December 26, 2006 8:04 PM :::To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM :::Subject: Re: Come out of the closet, all ::: :::This is a good topic, and I apologize for coming to the party late--it's :::been a busy weekend! ::: :::I write and occasionally get published, although I'm not sure if that :::makes :::me a writer. I write poetry, and some of that gets published as well, :::but :::I'm not sure if it's art. ::: :::I've been playing guitar in a band called Chester Drawers for thirteen :::years, a band that consists of me and a buddy who get together once a :::week :::and drink beer and learn songs, but we've never actually played a gig in :::an :::establishment, so I don't know if that makes me a musician. ::: :::I occasionally cater parties and events with jambalaya, gumbo, boiled :::crawfish, or fried catfish, but that doesn't make me a chef. ::: :::I've been in the securities industry for twelve years, but I do it to pay :::the bills and choose not to let the career dictate how I live (I have my :::kids for that). ::: :::I drive a Vanagon and have torn it down and rebuilt it along with a dozen :::other cars, but that doesn't make me a mechanic. ::: :::Driving this Vanagon puts me in about a .01 percentile among drivers in :::this :::country, and I like that. As I've said before, my vehicle is the best :::(in :::my mind). I'm not really sure what my identity is but I know it involves :::this odd machine. ::: :::So, I'm not quite arsty-fartsy, not quite buttoned-up, not really a :::hippie, :::and most certainly not quite sane. That makes me a Vanagon owner. ::: :::Joe T. ::: ::: ::: :::>From: mordo <helmut.blong@GMAIL.COM> :::>Reply-To: mordo <helmut.blong@GMAIL.COM> :::>To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM :::>Subject: Come out of the closet, all :::>Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2006 22:12:45 -0500 :::> :::>Former woodwright and ornamental plasterer. Currently selling and :::managing :::>the craft of ornamental plaster and scagliola restoration. :::> :::>www.haylesandhowe.com :::> :::>-- :::>mordo :::>1990 Carat ::: :::_________________________________________________________________ :::Find sales, coupons, and free shipping, all in one place! MSN Shopping :::Sales & Deals :::http://shopping.msn.com/content/shp/?ctid=198,ptnrid=176,ptnrdata=200639