Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2006, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 28 Dec 2006 22:45:07 +0100
From:         Raimund Feussner <rfeussner@GMX.DE>
Subject:      Re: List of vanagon engine conversions that fit below the stock
              engine lid...
Comments: To: Jeffrey Schwaia <jeff@vanagonparts.com>

Hi Jeff,

based on the main idea from Schubert and HA, I developed and engineered the set myself (with great help of my dad who has done these kinds of CAD drawings for two decades).

To be exactly, the idea is not new. The Tiptronik was made by ZF for the

Audi AND the Porsche911. The idea of two instead of three gears is from ZF. I have a stock Porsche gearset lying in my garage. I wanted to use these first, but they won´t fit on the audi tranny. The difference between the two shafts of the audi transmission is 132,5mm. The Porsche has 150mm. So, while the main principle is the same on both transmissions (even the

main gearbox part is exactly the same, same ratios etc), the housing and

pinion have different measurements.

With my own drawing, I had my new gearset and its housing built by a local company. They are willing to build more if demand is high enough. Until now I got 3 sets (one for me, two others for german T3-friends).

Actually, I used two companies. The first photos of the gearset housing is old and was unaligned. The second housing (the newer photos on the page) was perfect and much more professional. The photos compare the old versus the new housing.

While HA uses cast alloy (?) housings, mine is machined out of a huge massive alloy block

Raimund

Am 28.12.2006 22:24, Jeffrey Schwaia schrieb: > Raimund, > > Where did you get the special gearset assembly for the tiptronic tranny that > made the wheels spin the other direction? When I was at Hahn's shop he