Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2006, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 22 Dec 2006 14:47:32 -0500
From:         BJ Feddish <bfeddish@NETREACH.NET>
Subject:      Honda Elements

Thanks for all the replies about safety.

A funny thing about the Element is that it WAS designed for twenty somethings but much to Honda's surprise the median age for buying an Element is 42. That one nailed me exactly. When I first saw them on the road I though "Who would drive that stupid looking p&^*& ^ #$?". I then saw a local access program from a local dealer that showed how the interior is all plain, no frills, the seats pop out or tuck up to the sides, had plenty of space, has a 4cyl has optional curtain kit for camping and is 4wd. This was looking like a mini-microbus to me. It had the same purpose, cheap and practical. It also fits 2 double basses with no problems. :) I bought the most loaded one I could and that included the rare side airbags which meant I had to order it since that extra $300 option was no were to be seen on the dealers lot. I guess most people would rather spend the money on mag wheels. It was still only $22K, cheap by today's standards thought too much much money for most twentysomethings. The most hysterical thing is the maintenance schedule: 10K - Oil change, 20K - Oil Change, 30K - Oil and Air Filter, etc. etc. My old Jetta was: 10K new brakes and rotors, 20K, new wheel bearings, 21K, more front end parts, etc. My only complaint about the Element is the lousy gas mileage for a 4cyl. I've squeezed 26 mpg out of it on the highway but local driving gives me about 18-19, my 83.5 Westy gets better mileage in the city. Pretty sad when you think about it. In any event, it's great to have the reliable Honda in the driveway, parked next to my 83.5 Westy and my wife's '98 Audi A4 money pit.

Bryan