Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2006, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 24 Dec 2006 10:50:54 -0500
From:         Mike <mbucchino@CHARTER.NET>
Subject:      Re: Come out of the closet, all
Comments: To: John Rodgers <inua@CHARTER.NET>

Merry Christmas to most everyone and Happy holidays to the rest! I've enjoyed reading about the others, to get a background on the person behind the name on the list.

I'm a VW nut since birth, practically. As a little kid, I had a neighbor with an Oval that I adored (both the owner and the car!). I used to love to draw, and cartooned a cool-looking bug that I named "Wheelie" (I still have some drawings somewhere!). When my dad taught me to work with wood, I carved a 3D version of Wheelie, too! I've painted (took some evening classes as an older kid) with acrylic, oil or watercolor, sketched with pencil, pastels or charcoal, and loved making models (plastic, metal, balsa, wood for cars, ships, planes , both display and flying!) I still have many finished and unfinished kits of all types of cars (especially VW-related) and aircraft (military and general aviation). I'm a licensed Airframe & Powerplant mechanic with about 25 years experience wrenching on KC-135's, RC-135's, F-15's, Cessnas, Pipers, Beechcraft, hot-air balloons, experimental aircraft and AGE (aerospace ground equipment). I've owned, driven, restored over 45 cars, mostly VW's of every description, with a few Porsches thrown in for good measure ( I currently drive an '82 911SC and an '84 Vanagon GL). I've rebuilt many ACVW engines both Types I and IV, and have about a dozen cases in the basement, with most all of the parts needed to build them up complete. I've built a large 2-story, 2-car garage addition on my home and a fairly large shed out back. I'm a licensed electrician in both Massachusetts and Rhode Island, currently working fulltime as a Fire Alarm service technician for a company out of Pawtucket, RI (near Providence). I recently had the town come down on me for too many unregistered cars on the property, and have to pare it down to only 3 unregistered cars, so some VW's have to go. I scrapped 2, sold 1 and moved 2 to my buddy's garage (listed on craigslist for sale). I still have to eliminate 2 more, then I'll only have my '59 Beetle resto-in-progress, my '64 Beetle resto-in-progress, my afore-mentioned 911 and Vanagon, my friend's 71 Karmann Ghia, my wife's '03 Rav4 and my company workvan. I know, I know, that's a lot, but I've got 3 garage spaces, paved off street parking for 6, and about an acre out back for a couple behind the shed, under a large green tarp. I've been married 3 times and have 3 kids, travelled (and scoured VW junkyards and flea markets!) all over the world, retired with 21 years of service in the USAF and AirNG. I've camped in my many Westy's. I take annual vacations to Las Vegas, Disneyworld and cruises to Bermuda. I loved Florence and Pisa, Italy ('my country'!) and Denmark, England, Germany, Luxemburg, Korea, The Phillipines, Hawaii and Diego Garcia, an many others. I've driven coast-to-coast 3X, and flown all over the USA. I've lived in Okinawa, Japan for 3 years and Phoenix, AZ for 12 years. I've lived in Rome, NY for a year and Portsmouth, NH for a year, Chino Valley, AZ and Rantoul, IL. I've sat through a 6.1 earthquake in Ramona, CA, and countless Typhoons all over the South Pacific. I'm currently writing a VW book and have considered writing another one or two, maybe some day.......... I'm happily married (3rd times a charm!) and have joint custody of my almost 8 year-old son. It's our turn to have Xmas together this year, so I'm a pretty happy guy right now. Well, that's enough about me for now! Take care all and hope to meet you in person someday!

Mike B.

----- Original Message ----- From: "John Rodgers" <inua@CHARTER.NET> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Saturday, December 23, 2006 11:06 PM Subject: Re: Come out of the closet, all