Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2006, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 31 Dec 2006 12:26:55 -0500
From:         Geza Polony <gezapolony@SBCGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: Sound dampening

One thing you might try, on the cheap, is roofing emulsion and carpet padding. Paint the emulsion on the inside of the body, then stick your sound-deadening carpet padding right in it. These materials will do the job fairly well without spending a fortune. You can get the emulsion in silver so the finished product looks somewhat professional, too.

Marcel Proust lined the inside of his apartment with cork for sound deadening, but I doubt his walls had the contour of the Vanagon body. How would you get these tiles to stick permanently to the body? My experience with stick down tiles is they work pretty well with the help of gravity, but on a car wall, given the heat and vibration, I bet they'd end up falling off in no time. That adhesive doesn't amount to much.

If the paint you're using is latex, you might try to find out if it's going to stand up to the hot sheet metal on a summer day. Maybe put some on a piece of sheet metal, set your oven to 130 F, etc. House walls don't usually get that hot. The roofing emulsion I'm talking about is made for aluminum roofs on mobile homes and the like.

Geza