Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2006, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 29 Dec 2006 08:47:20 -0800
From:         Old Volks Home <oldvolkshome@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: 5/16" High Pressure Fuel Lines OK?
Comments: To: Benny boy <huotb@videotron.ca>

Benny -

If you're talking about the metal "fuel rails" as they're called, yes these were used. But they are short pieces only for the immediate area of use, namely the fuel injectors. VW quit using these when they went to the Wbxr and used some round plastic contraptions at the fuel injectors and although cheep looking in appearance, I guess they've been durable enough for me to stand the test of time and mileage. But, to cut costs, VAG has the rest of the engine compartment awash in hoses.

Geza mentions that some enterprising vendor could probably come up with a configuration of metal lines, compression fittings, etc. Stainless Steel would be a better choice over copper, but to construct something like this in either material and mass market it would require it to be manufactured in China to keep the resellable price at an affordable level. There just isn't a big enough market to justify the tooling, setup and production in such a short run. It would be best if a mechanically minded individual configure and make one up for themselves or just a few assemblies for others, but forget about recouping the labor $$ required to make it a reality as it would be more of a hobbiest/garage enterprise.

My late father, a design engineer at Northrop/Grumman and I would do selected projects like this for the 50 Split Window Bug we co-owned and restored way back in the day. Some replacement items were made out of pure unobtainium, even in 1968 and being the tool and die machinist he originally was, he was able to fashion many of the items we couldn't find. There are people out there that have those skills, but are become far and few between. -- Jim Thompson 84 Westfalia 2.1 "Ole Putt" 73 K Ghia Coupe "Denise" 72 411 Station Wagon "Pug" oldvolkshome@gmail.com http://www.oldvolkshome.com *Have a Happy & SAFE Holiday* ********************************** On 12/29/06, Benny boy <huotb@videotron.ca> wrote: > > :-) > > Jim i right, on late FI Bus, metal line were used > http://www.benplace.com/bjp/100_0046_78d.jpg > > I still wonder why they stoped doing so on a very important issue, fuel > line! > Of course, they (VW) didn't think theirs products would last for 20+ year. > > So that said, i have to say that the original FI line were extremely good > (same for the multiple flex coolant line). On the other ahnd, the wasser > engine (a poor modification of previous Air-Cool engine) were also, i > think, > a money issue. > > A have a few van in the shop now, those day i drive a Carat 2.2L Subi, > why, > it's -17C (1F), and it's the only one starting up fine, like any other > modern car, the wasser and it's injection system is.... pfffffff... i > won't > say what i really think of the VW FI. > > This van is so pleasant to drive with 130+hp. > > And to all who wonder about size (5/16, 7.5, 7...), just put some new one, > period... anything will be better than those old one, the clamp is the one > you should wonder about it's quality. The cheap one will "stripped" if to > tight, and please, don't use water hose clamp! > > Regards, and have a great new year! > Ben > http://www.benplace.com/bjp_travaux.htm