Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2006, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 30 Dec 2006 06:53:13 EST
From:         Frank Condelli <RAlanen@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Fix for Stebro Muffler Bracket breaking?
Comments: To: limbolist@egroups.com, vanagon@egroups.com,
          The_Bug_Pack@yahoogroups.com, Syncro@yahoogroups.com,
          SyncroDoubleCabs@yahoogroups.com
Comments: cc: sales@stebro.net, Fkc43@aol.com

In a message dated 29/12/2006 7:18:27 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, LISTSERV@GERRY.VANAGON.COM writes:

Re: Fix for Stebro Muffler Bracket breaking?

I would like to make a comment here on the continuing story of the breaking brackets of the _STEBRO/Vanagon 2.1 Stainless Steel Muffler_ (http://members.aol.com/Fkc43/stebro.htm) I sell. This muffler was designed by STEBRO PSD LTD. eight years ago at my request and investment and they at that time thought the brackets they designed were correct and infallible. In actual fact they did not hold up for several reasons some of which were related to undue vibration of the engine caused by out of tune engines and worn motor mounts. Regardless of this situation, STEBRO redesigned the brackets over one year ago and all STEBRO/Vanagon 2.1 Stainless Steel Mufflers being shipped since over one year now have the newly designed brackets and they have not nor will not break. I know the picture on the website still shows the old brackets, this will change very soon. From our records it seems there may be about 100 of these mufflers with the old style brackets out there and only about 10 of them have been repaired with new brackets thus far. Why the others are not breaking is what we cannot understand. I personally have two of these mufflers with the old style brackets on my personal vans and have never had a broken bracket. So why they are breaking for some and not others we're not sure. Regardless of this dilemma I have decided to take the following action.

Anyone with 2.1 mufflers with the old style brackets please contact Dan Petschenig, owner/operator of STEBRO PSD LTD, on his toll free line, 888-878-3276 and/or _sales@stebro.net_ (mailto:sales@stebro.net) and ask him to send you a set of the new brackets. Then you can have the old brackets removed and the new ones welded on by a local welder. The cost of the welding will be reimbursed to you by STEBRO. This is much more efficient to repair this problem in this manner rather than you shipping the muffler back to STEBRO for repair and then shipping it back to you. Sending out new mufflers to everyone is out of the question and cannot be done. STEBRO will not do this as I have asked numerous times and I cannot since I do not keep a supply of new mufflers around for this purpose as I cannot afford that cost, Bill Gates I am not ! If you have any problems with this arrangement please contact me immediately at 613-256-6763, leave a message and I will call you back on my dime and/or _Fkc43@aol.com_ (mailto:Fkc43@aol.com) . I am very sorry for this inconvenience and I am doing my best to resolve this issue to everyone's satisfaction.

Cheers,

Frank Condelli Almonte, Ontario, Canada '87 Westy, '90 Carat, '87 Wolfsburg (Forsale) & Lionel Trains (_Collection for sale_ (http://members.aol.com/Fkc43/trainsal.htm) ) Vanagon/Vanagon Westfalia Service in the Ottawa Valley _Frank Condelli & Associates_ (http://members.aol.com/Fkc43/busindex.html) _Vanagon Stainless Steel Exhaust Systems_ (http://members.aol.com/Fkc43/stebro.htm) _BusFusion_ (http://members.aol.com/BusFusion/bfhome.htm) a VW Camper camping event, Almonte, ON, June 07 ~ 10, 2007