Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2006, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 30 Dec 2006 20:55:31 -0500
From:         Mike Collum <collum@VERIZON.NET>
Subject:      Re: Vanagon mechanic during the holidays? Or help with burst
              coolant pipe...
Comments: To: philippe <fryday@CALIFORNIA.COM>

Philippe,

If you're talking about the lever on the passenger side of the rear heater, it's on the heater valve and shuts off or allows flow through the heater core. Pulled toward the front of the van allows flow (and heat). In the summer one normally repositions that lever toward the rear of the van. You want that valve open (towart the front) when bleeding the cooling system.

I once thought I had a leaky core and found it was only the O-ring where that valve attaches (my '84). the '85 did in fact have a leaky core and was bypassed when I first got it.

That valve is only in one line so the rear heater is still subject to coolant pressure whether the valve is open or shut. the heater core cannot be isolated with that valve. You did the right thing to bypass it until you can replace what's leaking.

Mike

Fuzzy :philippe wrote: > Thanks so much to everyone who wrote back! Turns out the problem was that > the heater under the back seat was cracked and leaking coolant, leading to > liquid leaking off the sides of the van (and since my van was full of stuff, > I didn't originally look under the rug...). Sooo, I simply bypassed the > heater and connected the two hoses together. > > BTW, there was some sort of grey lever on the heater -- any idea what this > is for? > > Again, please write back directly to fuzzy@california.com as I am not > actively "on the list". > > Thanks again sooo much! > > Philippe > fuzzy@california.com - 415-505-0786 - www.CreateTheWorldYouDream.com > "Create the world you dream with every choice you make!" -- Stephen C. Paul > "Some men see things as they are, and say 'Why?' I dream things that never > were, and say 'Why not?'" -- George Bernard Shaw > "Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one > can go." --T. S. Eliot > > >>-----Original Message----- >>From: Zoltan [mailto:zolo@foxinternet.net] >>Sent: Friday, December 29, 2006 2:56 PM >>To: Fuzzy :philippe >>Subject: Re: Vanagon mechanic during the holidays? Or help >>with burst coolant pipe... >> >>P, >>You must look at it closely, to determine what is exactly >>broken. It can be the thermostat housing also. The tank is >>on the left side and there are not pipes going right above >>it. The nearest is the thermostat housing and the hoses >>going away and coming into it. >>A hose can always be fixed with the kit that you get at an >>auto store. Cut it at the burst and install the metal pipe >>that fits there, then tighten it with the clamps. It can >>last a long time. >>Zoltan >> >>----- Original Message ----- >>From: "Fuzzy :philippe" <fryday@CALIFORNIA.COM> >>To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> >>Sent: Friday, December 29, 2006 2:09 PM >>Subject: Vanagon mechanic during the holidays? Or help with >>burst coolant pipe... >> >> >> >>>Got someone to recommend? One of my coolant pipe just >> >>burts, seemingly >> >>>just above the LP gas tank (it's dripping coolant on either >> >>side). Any >> >>>ideas? Can I fix this temporarily? >>> >>>Any help would be greatly appreciated! Please send replies >> >>directly to >> >>>fuzzy@california.com >>> >>>Thanks! >>> >>>-p >>> >>>-- >>>fuzzy@california.com >>>(sent from my mobile phone) >>> >>> >>>-- >>>No virus found in this incoming message. >>>Checked by AVG Free Edition. >>>Version: 7.1.409 / Virus Database: 268.15.29/607 - Release Date: >>>2006.12.28. >>> >>> >> >> >