Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2006, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 30 Dec 2006 21:16:19 -0600
From:         Jerry <jbvelo@BELLSOUTH.NET>
Subject:      Re: Failure to return to idle

The easiest way to determine between a linkage/cable problem is to isolate or remove the cable from the throttle valve at the throttle body linkage on the engine. With the cable disconnected you should be able to find out where your problem is. Make sure your throttle valve works freely with the cable disconnected. Do you have cruise control?? You could have a problem with the cruise control actuating cable. If all is ok in the rear then the problem is forward of the engine compartment. I guess you probably know that the Vanagon uses an entirely separate idle circuit comprised of 1. Idle solenoid 2. Throttle position switch 3. Idle control Relay (mounted behind the R/R tail light. Typical tests to see if the Idle solenoid is working is to listen/feel for vibration from the idle solenoid with ignition key in RUN position. If you hear or feel it vibrating more than likely it is good. I can tell you by experience that a very common problem is wear within the "throttle position switch". This mounts on the bottom of the throttle valve body and should have a plastic cover concealing the micro switch. It's very important that this switch operates correctly and the adjustment is very sensitive. The throttle position switch costs around $65.00. Always check for good ground connections in the engine compartment. Haven't experienced much trouble from the Idle Control Relay. It's an expensive item to replace (appx. $250.00) The Vanagon idle screw is preset and has a locking patch on it. You really shouldn't have to adjust it unless someone has tampered with it before. GOOD LUCK!

Jerry 88 GL BUS-ter