Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2006, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 30 Dec 2006 08:33:44 -0500
From:         Harold Teer <teer.vanagon@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Parking Brake vs Left in Gear - Siezed Brakes
Comments: To: Evan Mac Donald <macdonald1987@sbcglobal.net>

On two occasions about 10 years ago, I had the same problem. In both instances, it occurred after washing the van and the wheels (thus getting water in the rear brakes), and then not driving the van but setting the emergency brake . Within a couple of days, the rear brakes were frozen and it took considerable effort to break them loose.

Since then, I have been careful to never set the emergency brake overnight after the van has been washed or driven in rain, unless I drive a ways and use the brakes to dry the pads. That has solved my problem. Don't know if this sequence of events mirrors yours, but if so, just make certain the brakes have been used some after getting them wet.

Harold

-- Harold & Faye Teer 1991 Westy Harrisonburg, VA

On 12/29/06, Evan Mac Donald <macdonald1987@sbcglobal.net> wrote: > > Sounds like the shoes are rusting to the drums. A good coating with oil > ought to stop that pesky seizing up problem. > > LOL ;-P > Its Friday - DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME - or any other place for that > matter.... > > > Susmay <susmay@YAHOO.COM> wrote: > I have to leave the WurstFalia in 1st gear with the > park brake off and a brick under the wheel. The rear > brakes seize up if I leave the park brake on for more > than a couple of weeks. That turns into a driveway tow > and new brake pads. Ouch. > Is there some magic that would allow me to use the > park brake when I am not driving Wursty every week? > > Thomas > > 88 WurstFalia > > __________________________________________________ > Do You Yahoo!? > Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around > http://mail.yahoo.com >

-- Harold & Faye Teer 1991 Westy Harrisonburg, VA