Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2007, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 5 Jan 2007 23:15:26 -0500
From:         Mike Collum <collum@VERIZON.NET>
Subject:      Re: Roadside Troubles while on Vacationing

First, let me say that I've made many more long trips in my Vanagons without problems than I have with problems but the ones I'm listing here were all experienced far from home. These either happened to my '84 7 passenger or my '85 Westy. They cover a 16 year period. Some minor annoyances are not listed.

I'm listing the problems by number then, for those interested, putting explanations below. Note that none of the problems kept me from driving home and at no time was a repair shop involved as I did all work myself.

FWIW, I never start out on a trip with crossed fingers or any apprehension but I do carry some spares and lots of tools.

1. Small coolant hose on pipe from passenger side head to waterpump burst.

2. Right front brakes dragged badly which slowed the vehicle and caused much heat.

3. Bad CV joint(s).

4. Failed fuel pressure regulator.

5. Failed waterpump (never leaked from weep hole).

6. Failed ECU.

7. Catastrophic failure of coolant head gaskets.

8. Failed alternator.

9. Failed starter (on my 4 speed).

The rest of the story:

1. I was driving at freeway speed when I noticed a cloud of steam in the rearview mirror at about the same time as I got a flashing coolant light. I immediately shut off the engine and coasted to the side of the road. Cooling system was empty. I determined that the small hose that joins the pipes that go from the passenger side head to the waterpump had ruptured. Tugging at the remaining rubber caused it to tear like wet cardboard. No spare onboard. I found that I had a length of plastic tubing, that had been trimmed off a bathroom sink drain, under the seat. It slid snugly over the two pipes and I used worm drive hose clamps, directly over the ridges in the pipes, to get a good seal. I was in the 7 passenger so no extra water was onhand. I gathered anything and everything that would hold water and made 2 trips to a river that was about a quarter of a mile away to get enough(it was winter and the water was clear) to refill the system. Cutting to the chase, I put about 4,000 miles on that plastic coupling before replacing it with hose and it never did leak. I did have to cut it off, though, as the hard plastic had taken a set to those ridges.

2. While in Virginia, and luckily near a town, the right front brake started dragging so badly as to slow the van and the wheel was, of course, extremely hot. After letting it cool I drove on and took the next exit. My thinking (at the time) was that the caliper pistons had worked until the pads wore to their present thickness (they weren't all that old) so, in that I didn't have much time, I bought new pads for both sides. In that I had to use C-clamps and sockets to retract the pistons, that action alone probably caused the problem to go away. Anyway, I put in the new pads and continued on without further incident.

3. Without any indication that the CVs would be a problem before leaving home (though I had never serviced them and the boots were good) one or more started knocking really bad. I found that I could crawl under and grab each axle, like a javelin, and thrust it back and forth between the transaxle and the wheel a few times then drive on for quite a distance without knocking. I did this several times during the trip but drove over 2,000 miles before servicing the joints at home.

4. The engine started running rough and really rich so we pulled into a motel in Springfield, MA (it was after midnight). If I shut off the engine and restarted it immediately, it would start but if I waited 10 minutes ... I had to wait a couple of hours. I knew immediately it was the fuel pressure regulator. I had had that problem on a different vanagon but not far from home. Replacement of the regulator did the trick.

5. While on the freeway in New Jersey, the van started to lurch and lose power. I pulled over and opened the engine hatch to see where coolant was literally spraying out of the waterpump around the shaft ... none from the weep hole. The only thing I could figure from the poor running was the Temp II sender was soaked. I topped up (had extra coolant onboard this time) dried the Temp II sender and got underway for the next exit where, within a few miles, I found a NAPA store. Paying them $100 for the pump was cheaper than ordering one for $49 and paying for a motel room (was in the 7 pass) while waiting for it to come in. Anyway, I replaced the waterpump in NAPA's parking lot using the braces from a gear puller clamped to the hoses with C-clamps so as not to lose too much coolant.

6. I was over 1,000 miles from home and had the wife, a daughter and her husband, a small grandson, and a dog onboard. We were making a routine exit to a rest stop when the engine quit and I coasted into a parking slot. That sucker wouldn't restart. To make the story short, I just "Happened" to have an extra ECU under the rear seat as I never considered that it would fail (I had saved it from a parts van ... just because). I put it in and ... zoom zoom. Total down time less than a half hour (troubleshooting). I retried the old one when I got home and it is indeed bad.

7. When I bought my '85 Westy, it was in Richmond, VA. I was in Maine. My wife was visiting in Abingdon, VA (with her sick mother) so I decided that I would pick up the Westy and drive on down to where she was before heading back up north. Well, after 280 of the 300 miles the big head gaskets went without warning. I had the van flatbedded that last 20 miles (the only time in 16 years that I required a tow) where I proceeded to remove the heads (wheels down). I ordered a gasket kit, among other parts, from Ken at VanAgain, and made the repairs. I had to dig shallow trenches below each head in order to swing the torque wrench. That was 38,000 miles ago and they're doing fine.

8. The alternator had always performed flawlessly but while driving down the highway the OXY and alternator lights came on steady. No flashing or showing dim or anything. We took the next exit and found a NAPA place. We were in a hurry, so I bought the only alternator they had which has the lifetime warranty (expensive). I replaced it in their parking lot and was back on the road in short order.

9. The original starter failed on my Westy while not far from home. A push start and I got it going. I ordered a rebuilt from a popular list vendor and all seemed well until winter temperatures really dropped (I had put the rebuilt on by digging out a place in the snow in order to crawl under). When temperatures went minus Fahrenheit, the solenoid would stick. In the spring, I mentioned the problem to the vendor and he had the rebuilder send me a replacement, but its solenoid was sticky at any temperature. I put the first rebuilt back on. Then, on the way to Maine's Buses By The Buoy, the starter failed completely. There is a story in itself about that trip as relates to the starter. Anyway, after returning home, I opened up the "Original" starter, cleaned it up, swapped the brushes from the rebuilt to the original and it's now working like a champ. I should've just ordered brushes to start with.

Mike Houlton, Maine '84 GL 7 pass '85 GL Westy