Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2007, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 1 Jan 2007 12:03:32 -0500
From:         Mark Brush <mbrush@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: limping with leaking heads

Thanks for the input. I'm hoping to travel from Michigan to North Carolina next summer with the wife and kids, so I'm trying to manage risk along with a tight budget. Sounds like continuing to add coolant is an option that might get me through next summer. After that, I'll have to decide whether it makes sense to spend the money to reseal with new head gaskets, or save up for an engine conversion.

OR - I could keep it running the same way the Vietnamese keep those old Army jeeps and trucks running - a big drum of water on the roof with a line going directly into the engine (the outlet goes onto the ground). Just refill at the next stop - no need for those old rusted out radiators!!

Mark

On 1/1/07, dylan friedman <insyncro@yahoo.com> wrote: > > imo, > you are pushing the cooling system to the limit. > expect a water pump failure at some point. > this is not a good idea because if it happens at highway speeds, you will > overheat the engine and surely cause damage. > just reseal it and than you will be able to get more miles out of it. > > when you are ready for reliability, drop a subaru in it. > > dylan > > ----- Original Message ---- > From: Mark Brush <mbrush@GMAIL.COM> > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > Sent: Sunday, December 31, 2006 4:18:47 PM > Subject: limping with leaking heads > > Hi all - > > Anyone have experience with pushing leaking head gaskets to the > limit? How > long can one expect to resonably drive with leaking head gaskets? It's a > tiny drip in the summer (about a susan b. anthony in size on the driveway > after two days), and a small puddle in the winter. Can I keep adding > coolant until she goes? Any dangers in doing this other than being > stranded > somewhere? > > thanks for any insights. > > Mark B. > 1990 Westy > > > __________________________________________________ > Do You Yahoo!? > Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around > http://mail.yahoo.com >